Raisins, sultanas, and ?

mothergoose_nz, Apr 4, 11:10am
there used to be something bigger than a sultana.been trying to think what it was called.anyone remember.maybe muscato or something.

elliehen, Apr 4, 11:32am
mus·ca·tel/ˌməskəˈte-
l/
Noun:

A muscat grape, esp. as grown for drying to make raisins.
A raisin made from such a grape.

elliehen, Apr 4, 11:35am
Muscatels, with crunchy seeds, were often a gourmet Christmas treat.If you want to buy an inexpensive raisin larger than the small black Californian ones, look for Australian raisins - fat and sticky.

marcs, Apr 4, 12:46pm
You should see the size of raisins in Australia. They are massive.

elliehen, Apr 4, 11:46pm
.and delicious :)

sarahb5, Apr 4, 11:53pm
Raisins always used to be bigger than sultanas so you got three sizes of dried "grape" - currant, sultana and raisin - of course that was in the olden days when the world was black and white and I was still at school (according to my kids)

elliehen, Apr 4, 11:58pm
In the USA they call sultanas 'golden raisins'.I once stayed in a backpackers in Guatemala called 'The Hotel Sultana'.It had cockroaches bigger than sultanas.other than that, I couldn't see a connection.There were no Sultan's wives floating about ;)

indy95, Apr 5, 12:09am
Darn it elliehen, I was intending to make a sultana cake this afternoon but since reading your last post I have inexplicably gone right off the idea. Somehow I don't think I will ever be able to make another fruit cake or anything else featuring dried fruit without imagining floating Sultans wives and large Guatemalan cockroaches !

paula16, Apr 5, 12:58am
Maybe a date

pickles7, Apr 5, 2:31am
a prune
moscato raisins , are raisins from a moscato grape.

sarahb5, Apr 5, 2:46am
Talking of which I have a friend - an intelligent woman, has a degree, professional occupation, etc - who didn't know that prunes are dried plums.She thought they grew like that

olwen, Apr 5, 3:58am
Sticky raisins (seeded raisins).You don't get them now, they are all seedless or what we used to call blue raisins.They tasted different, too.

keruru, Apr 11, 7:05am
2 sultanas.