Fair Go next week

Page 1 / 2
terachaos, May 9, 8:30pm
On the subject of Olive Oil, should be interesting. Supermarket labels and some of the upmarket brands aren't that wonderful

spot20, May 9, 9:01pm
Yes i think that is going to be very very interesting indeed! I always wonder about the quality of the olive oil in the super.we use the red island brand (australian) as our 'special' oil, which is affordable for us.lets hope it doesnt get blasted!

nfh1, May 9, 10:05pm
I wonder if some of the premium brands will get a slating too!

elliehen, May 9, 10:06pm
I always buy a local brand - sometimes it's been grown and pressed just down the road ;)

nfh1, May 9, 10:14pm
I use Village Press, from here in Hawke's Bay.I use very little so a bottle lasts ages and ages.

gayle6, May 9, 10:24pm
Fair Go have done chemical and sensory analysis on some of the main supermarket brands to see if they are really Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The head liner last night implied the consumer is going to be in for a shock. A case of you get what you pay for. NZ EVOO is the best - look out for the red Certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil sticker on the bottle, which shows it has passed stringent testing to ensure it is EVOO.

davidt4, May 9, 10:33pm
I use Village Press and get through LOTS.

coast_palms, May 9, 10:34pm
Village Press here too.

Lupi is bought by the gallon tin in our household, but I beat it's in for a slating.

buzzy110, May 9, 11:13pm
I wonder what they will be basing their programme on. If it is quality then the whole thing will be doomed to nonsense from the start. There are different qualities of olive oil ranging from cold pressed (first press with no heat or chemical treatment) all the way through to 'lite' crap that is no better than other chemically extract oils.

If based on freshness then local is always best. I use oil from a Clevedon supplier and, sometimes Waiheke because that is local to me. The healthy antioxidants begin to deteriorate as the oil ages so imported oils, which may stack up well in their own countries are probably not as 'healthy' after a time spent in storage, transit, storage, distribution and eventual point of sale.

If based on unlisted additives or agricultural toxins then they will have my total attention but they will probably be following the politically correct line that states that oil and fat is bad for you and should only be consumed in tiny quantities and similar crap.

mm12345, May 9, 11:54pm
I used to import olive oil. The Euro zone CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) subsidies led to some strange situations.I suspect that what Fair Go uncovers won't be due primarily to what local retailers do in order to "deceive consumers", but the result of bizarre European market regulations.

cloudberry, May 10, 12:53am
So do I! Have you tried their garlic and rosemary flavoured oil! Very good with lamb. Village Press also do a good avocado oil.

makespacenow, May 10, 1:05am
ash the good old "mountains of flour and grains and lakes of oil and wine"
I suspect they will say most of the imported olive oil is cap as way too old.

karenz, May 10, 2:03am
There was a show Petra Bagust used to front which focussed on a diffferent food item each week, the one on olive oil was interesting, the focus was on imported supermarket brands and the more popular and expensive brands rated the lowest score, mainly because most of them were so old they were verging on rancid. From memory none of the olive oils rated well but the cheaper 'home brands' rated highest.

davidt4, May 10, 2:25am
Consumer tested olive oils about three years ago and their top three were Village Press Frantoio, Olivo and Peta Mathias.It will be interesting to compare Fair Go's ratings with this.

I've tried Red Island and didn't think much of it, although it certainly is cheap and a few Australian friends love it.It didn't seem fresh to me; maybe old stock is exported to NZ.

karenz, May 10, 2:40am
Yhe best I have had, and which kept consistly good, is the Village Press in the cardboard box (like bulk wine) maybe in part it was because light couldn't get to the product. I wonder why smaller qualtities are not marketed similarly.

bedazzledjewels, May 10, 3:53am
DT4 - do you use Village Press for making mayo!

davidt4, May 10, 4:41am
Yes, I do.I like the Barnea variety as it is mild and fruity and not too overbearing in a mayo.The other varieties are grassier and good in a vinaigrette or as a table condiment.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 8, 11:02pm
DT4 - just made mayo using Village Press Barnea. It's a gorgeous chartreuse colour and tastes great.
Thanks for the suggestion.

davidt4, Jun 8, 11:57pm
Thanks for the feedback Dazz.I recently made a really nice saffron-lemon mayo with VP Barnea, using Central Otago saffron!The colour was amazing.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 8, 11:58pm
I'll bet it was!

kokopuff, Jun 9, 1:57am
Im on a budget so i use Pams olive oil.

bambi_lobster, Sep 9, 4:38am
just came across this thread

can anyone say what the outcome was on this FairGo programme !
didnt see it !

chur=o)

matuq, Sep 9, 5:32am
I "think" it was something along the lines of use locally made ones (i.e. NZ).

davidt4, Sep 9, 5:46am
The outcome was that most olive oils sold in supermarkets were stale, some rancid, even the more expensive ones.Village Press and 100% NZ (I think that's the name, maybe 100% Kiwi) were the best.

camper18, Sep 9, 7:14am
Didn't Target also do a programme on oils sometime last year!