Yams

connor2003, May 10, 3:22am
Where can I buy cans of yams! Have come across them in an American recipe and the recipe sounds yummy.

pericles, May 10, 3:23am
out of season, middle of winter

weka8, May 10, 3:32am
Buy them in your local vegetable shop.

olwen, May 10, 3:35am
Not what is in American recipes

schnauzer11, May 10, 3:55am
Yes-check what is meant by 'yams'.Some Americans call sweet-potato,our Kumera,'yams'.

norse_westie, May 10, 4:10am
Is it just me or are they completely tasteless! I have tried cooking them various ways and they are completely pointless to my tastebuds.

whitehead., May 10, 4:30am
the pigs love them

sossie1, May 10, 4:31am
wrap them in bacon

norse_westie, May 10, 4:37am
Well my pigs/kids don't care for them ;)

norse_westie, May 10, 4:37am
Er no thanks. I don't eat bacon.

connor2003, May 10, 4:41am
Thanks for all those threads.My boys wouldn't eat yams (NZ) but when I told them that they were sausage vegetables they ate them and enjoyed them.

jenniferanne, May 10, 6:06am
Love them roasted with heaps of salt and a bit of pepper yumo

antoniab, May 10, 8:45am
Yams in American are like a sweet pototo. What WE call yams are called oca in the states and hard to come by - (my aunty, who lives over there, had never heard of them!) lol

bev00, Jul 15, 1:45pm
SWEET AND SOUR YAMS
500g yams
salt
2 tbsp each of butter and honey
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp vinegar

Boil the yams in salted water until tender. Drain.
Melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the yams. Add the honey and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes more, then add the vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Serve with meat or fish.
Serves 6.

nzhel, Jul 16, 12:16am
The ones sold in supermarkets have become very tasteless over the years - they used to be nice once tho. My mum used to grow her own and they were utterly delicious roasted - full of flavour like most homegrown vegies. This is the problem with a lot of supermarket fruit and vegetables they have no taste anymore. There must be a generation of kids that have never tasted a delicious peach, nectarine, apricot or even a plum freshly picked. I rarely buy any of these fruits from a supermarket anymore because they are so disappointing in taste.

fifie, Jul 16, 12:47am
Seems to be yellow ones at S/M lately and they are tasteless,Mr arrived home with some i cooked them and tossed them in honeyginger vinegar to give them some flavour. Find if you can get the nice big red ones they are nice roasted.