Chocolates

taurus2005, May 1, 9:17pm
Anyone found a real nice chocolate out there!Am looking for a yummy brand.I remember the days when you could actually smell the beautiful chocolate.The Cadburys range just dont seem to cut it these days.Winter coming.ammmm red wine and chocolate time.

gennie, May 1, 9:40pm
One of my favourite eating chocolates at the moment is the trade aid brand (I buy at the trade aid shop on Victoria st in Wellington but they sell on line too www.tradeaid.org.nz).I usually prefer a darker chocolate but really like their milk chocolate.Costs about $6.50 for 200g and tastes great.I use their cocoa too for baking.I can get this at the local New World as well as the trade aid shop.

cookessentials, May 1, 10:31pm
I take it that you mean in a bar/ On the odd occasion i have it, Whittakers is my choice. We also love Schoc chocolates which are in greytown ( you can buy online) they do bars of milk, white and high% cocoa chocolate either plain or various flavours like chill lime which is delicious. They also do individual chocolates that you can choose from their cabinet as well as rocky road etc. Their chocolate would have to be one of the best I have had.
http://www.schoc.co.nz/

taurus2005, May 1, 10:50pm
Thank you,I will check out both.

norse_westie, May 1, 11:02pm
Lindt is the best supermarket brand, closely followed by Whittakers. I prefer to support Whittakers as they are an NZ company.

I second the Trade Aid chocolate - it is Belgian quality and divine. I like the dark one best, and discovered it when I was completely dairy free and craving chocolate. I swear a couple of squares is worth the same gratification you need from a whole bar of nasty cheapo Cadburys. I wouldn't touch Cadburys if you paid me now.

I am a fan of Shoc, but it is VERY pricey for what you get. Now I prefer to shop at Bullrush. They also sell Willies which is divine.

jimmy2102, May 1, 11:15pm
Valrhona choc is wonderful, can find at good food stores, i also agree with above posters, the tradeaid choc is also very good.

elliehen, May 1, 11:22pm
Whittaker's, with a percentage of cocoa solids to your tase.Mine is Dark Ghana 72%.

bedazzledjewels, May 1, 11:25pm
Cooks - I'm a bit envious but also thankful that I don't live close to Schoc!

makespacenow, May 2, 12:36am
Willies cacao . My fav is Venezuelan black.

norse_westie, May 2, 12:41am
Dammit. Now look what you made me do: I had to google Valrhona and have found their website. Now I am forced to order some.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 12:45am
Norse - shops like Farro Fresh, Nosh, Sabato and Zarbo will stock Valrhona.

norse_westie, May 2, 12:49am
Oh okay, thanks. I haven't seen Farro Fresh or Sabato but their is a Nosh near me. It might be a little cheaper online though - and I love the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive.

I didn't realize you could buy Willies direct from their website either till reading the other thread. I've been paying premium prices from NZ online shops, d'oh.

gennie, May 2, 12:50am
Mmmmm, picked up a block of each of 6 different varieties in duty free in Bangkok a week ago for much cheaper price than here (though mainly 'cause they had a 3 for price of 2 special going).Slowly munching through them.Valrhona is quite pricey.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 12:51am
The postage from the UK is quite steep but still works out cheaper per gram than Schoc's 100%.
Check out Willie's Facebook page - there'll be a special offer coming this weekend. I'm toying with the idea of getting some more cacao.

makespacenow, May 2, 1:03am
i sometimes get bulk lots of ebay.co.UK and ask for overland postage many times it is faster than airmail.

makespacenow, May 2, 1:03am
i sometimes get bulk lots of ebay.co.UK and ask for overland postage many times it is faster than airmail.
ETA i think they need to add me to their payroll as i have done so much giving away and telling others about their fab 100% chocolate.i would settle for few blocks every now and then.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 1:09am
Isn't it interesting how each type tastes so different depending on where the beans are sourced! I like the Venezuelan Black too along with Nicaraguan Waslala and Venezuelan Hacienda las Trincheras.

sarahb5, May 2, 1:12am
Tried the Lindt dark chocolate with passionfruit and almonds today - love the taste, hate the smell .

makespacenow, May 2, 1:14am
I watched his tv program few years ago in UK how he bought the land and tried to source the milling stone in Europe.was so interesting to see how the brand started their recipe trials early mornings at farmers markets.i could nite wait for the product to hit the shelves.then bang selfridges and waitroses sold out in just few days i was bummed had to wait couple if months.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 1:16am
He's extended the range a lot too. In case others are interested, he's just now adding in milk and white chocolate. I'm hoping that one day he'll make the 100% in a bar.
Here's a link to his shop -
http://www.willieschocolateshop.com/cooking-chocolate-pure-cacao.html

makespacenow, May 2, 1:18am
They reached 5000 i hope they will post the offer before i go into labour i am overdue but been hanging waiting as don't want to miss out.hope the offer is worth it or i will go down in history as the saddest chocolate addict.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 1:22am
Usually the offer is a couple of free bars - probably this time it'll be milk choc. Once it was cacao which was awesome.

Tell that Baby to stay put! Good luck with the birth when it happens. That's going to be a cacao-loving baby!

makespacenow, May 2, 2:53am
am afraid not.had hg.hypermesis so hardly ate .veena too sick hence my huge cravings for real food and chocolate.

vampiriousmist, May 2, 10:32pm
Are the different names with Valrhona the different quantities of cocoa ! I have heard this is supreme chocolate for baking.