Chop suey

motorbo, Apr 15, 8:43am
so the pattie thread reminded me, i asked a lovley island lady once and she said her recipe was soy sauce, vermiclli (SP) and beef strips.and you can add vege, is that really all it is>!

sumstyle, Apr 15, 8:47am
Garlic.

sumstyle, Apr 15, 8:48am
I sweat off some garlic and chopped onions, then fry off whatever meat I'm using, dump in the vermicilli (previously soaked in boiling water and drained), add soy sauce, and let it all meld together on low.Better the next day.

motorbo, Apr 15, 8:51am
thanks for that i think i will have to make it this week, what meat do you usually use!

sumstyle, Apr 15, 9:06am
Oh um *blush* our family uses, bacon, marinated pork and chicken.I'm not certain that this is how my mum was taught the recipe, but it's how we eat it!

fisher, Apr 15, 12:02pm
Chop Suey
Cooking time 30 minutes (not including preparation)
Serves four to six peopleServe with rice
Ingredients:
500g Blade Steak thinly sliced into 2 to 3cm strips.1 large Onion coarsely diced .8 Cloves Garlic finely diced .50g Ginger finely diced.
100g Bean Vermicelli.750mls to 1 lt Water.100mls Dark Soy Sauce .100mls Peanut Oil.Salt and Pepper to taste.
Optional Ingredients:Add all or any
2 Cups Mix Vegetables.100g Smoked Bacon.50mls Oyster Sauce.100g cooked shelled shrimps.
Method:
Put water in bowl and soak vermicelli for 1/2 an hour.Then cut with scissors when vermicelli is soft along the middle and corners
Heat oil on high, when sizzling add garlic and ginger and fry till about to turn brown then add onion and cook till clear.
Add all meat and fry till just 2/3 cooked. Add half of soy sauce and cook for about two minutes then add vermicelli and mix vegetables.Stir well,
Simmer for 5 minutes or until vermicelli is clear (on low heat).Then add Oyster SauceAdd more Soy Sauce if needed to bring colour to brown.
Meat best prepared the day before.Marinate with half measures of soy sauce, garlic and ginger and refrigerate. Don't overcook the meat.

aglarana, Apr 15, 12:41pm
Traditional Samoan Chop Suey is diced onion, garlic, ginger, meat, salt pepper, covered in water and slowly boiled. Once boiled you add a cup of soy sauce and let it simmer till the liquid reduces, then top it up with water again. Let it reduce then add the prepared vermicilli and top up with a 50/50 ratio of water and soya sauce.
This is the Island way which is why I'm guessing no-one except fisher realized Ginger is a main ingred too. :)

aglarana, Apr 15, 12:42pm
You can use any kind of meat. I've used mutton chops, steak, and chicken nibbles.

sumstyle, Apr 15, 8:48pm
That's what my Samoan friend uses, sure.

petal1955, Apr 15, 9:15pm
Island Chop Suey (Sapasui).real-
ly loverly

petal1955, Apr 15, 9:15pm
Island Chop Suey (Sapasui).real-
ly lovely

fisher, Apr 16, 1:34am
aglarana.the original part of my post was "normal" chop suey but in time have beefed it up with the optional ingredients. Just the way thing have transpired over time.:}}

motorbo, Apr 16, 2:35pm
thanks fisher and aglarana .the lady that made the best i had ever tasted .and i was shocked at no veges but still a great taste.she used beef strips you know the ones with the wee bone.i have to make it for me with tamari as im gluten free and recently when trying to not be gluten free i had a bad allergic reaction and it scared me so now i have to be careful .thanks again am gonna make this - this week