Dutch croquettes

Page 1 / 2
suzanna, Apr 26, 9:36pm
I have been asked to make croquettes and would be interested in a recipe that any of you actually use. I have googled and searched various other avenues but with this one would love a 'tried and true' for this good winter comfort food. Cheers.

cuteviolet, Apr 27, 12:12am
Hi there, yes the bitterballen recipe can be used for 'kroketten' and here is a link to Dutch croquette recipes etc. http://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/07/kroketten.html
A pinch of nutmeg and a bayleaf (taken out before turning out mix onto tray) is a nice addition. Have used cooked leftover roast meat - any sort.

babytears, Apr 27, 1:52am
Thanks for the link. I can't wait to make some!

suzanna, Apr 27, 8:24pm
Thank you mmmm today's project can't wait.

evorotorua, Apr 27, 9:30pm
My Mum makes the best croquetten and bitterballen. I know her trick is love. But also it is important to really shred the meat not cut it. It is time consuming but so worth it!~! These are used as her currency amongst the grandchildren. She always has a 'bank' of them in her freezer and they are used as payment for jobs, hugs, grades, effort and just because she loves them.

timturtle, Apr 28, 5:57am
evorotorua can you post your mums recipe! Thanks

timturtle, Apr 28, 5:58am
Suzanna how did they turn out !

babytears, Apr 28, 9:58am
Thanks for the tip. :)

evorotorua, Apr 28, 5:59pm
Timturtle, I'll ask if she has one. It might take a few days though. What I do know is that she uses either shredded beef, chicken or veal (fav) roasted. Basically from there she adds it to a thick white sauce but not too much. Then shapes, chills, flour, egg, breadcrumb and then deep fry. Seriously deep fry, none of this 'too much oil' carry on! She figures if you are going to do it, do it well. Anyway I'll get the other little special ingredients from her this week. Enjoy with deep fried chips too and mayonnaise (frit saus!)

timturtle, Apr 28, 9:33pm
Thanks. I really like them, but haven't quite got the flavour right. Cheers

jaxma, Apr 29, 1:45am
Will she make them on order to sell!:-D

timturtle, May 3, 5:28am
Any luck with a recipe! Thanks, sorry for being impatient

shop-a-holic, May 3, 7:02am
I am so addicted to these croquettes. We are lucky to have a Dutch shoppe in Petone, Lower Hutt, which stock pre-made ones to take home. On a trip to Christchurch, I called into a cafe/tearooms which had them in the hot cabinet. Since I knew what they were I bought the rest of them, and ate the lot (piggy). Such a rare treat.
Here is a link to the ones which are stocked in the store in Petone, and used by the tearooms in Christchurch.

http://www.croquette.co.nz/

timturtle, May 3, 7:19am
Lol I have some of these in the freezer. from Van Dams shop. HeHe. But would like to make my own, as it would be cheaper. Thanks for the link.

shop-a-holic, May 3, 7:23am
I've just been cruising the site too, and noticed the balls!

evorotorua, May 3, 6:07pm
Sorry! I spoke to Mum. Her answer was."i'm not really sure." So that's not much help is it. Anyway she basically make a thick white sauce but will often use chicken stock as at least part of the liquid. Then she adds the shredded, chopped meat and herbs and spices as she feels is required. That depends on the meat and whatever takes her fancy. if she thinks about it too much it's no good. Definitely mace in there every time. Then the whole chill, roll, flour, egg, crumb, chill, deep fry. I think she double fries them. Once to seal and then just before serving. Good luck and so sorry I didn't post earlier.

evorotorua, May 3, 6:33pm
Haha Jaxma, as for selling them, it's a strange barter system she has and builds up over years. There are terms and conditions to have the right to 'trade' of course! It's in a strange language too, a combination of Dutch and English interspersed and lots of laughter. And, you have to do the dishes! No dishwasher in her house!

timturtle, May 3, 9:32pm
Oh Well ! Often the way with experienced cooks NO recipe needed! Lol.Thanks for asking. Cheers

jed, May 3, 10:16pm
Hi, can you use leftover roast pork to make these bitterballen/kroketten!They do sound yum, very tempted to try with some pork. TIA :)

alannah1, May 3, 10:17pm
this is the receipe I use and love
1 cup cooked chicken, 3 T butter, 1/4 c flour, 3/4 c milk, 1 egg and I also add chicken stock to it as well.
Melt butter, stir in flour, and powered stock and cook until frothy and gradually stir in milk . add chicken and let cool , shape and dip into egg and roll in breadcrumbs

suzanna, May 10, 12:26am
Thanks so much for all your replies. I used chicken which I shredded and yes as suggested it is definately worth doing this. Also added nutmeg and a bay leaf which were good additions. Even though I couldn't wait to finish the process so I could sample these gems I took the time to really 'set' the mix so it would be easier to handle. I cooled it down as suggested on the website that was posted and then wrapped it and put it into the fridge overnight. I would recommend this as it did make for easier handling. I used double egg and crumbs and into the deep fryer. Delicious and so worth the time. Then I had a little experiment and used some very good stuffing in the mix and only a little chicken - devine but then I love stuffing.
These could easily become a regular thing but best they don't.

unknowndisorder, Aug 13, 11:25pm
Bumping for rosiedee

timturtle, Aug 13, 11:29pm
Ingredients:
• ½ pound lean meat
• 1 small onion
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 eggs, separated
• 2 tablespoons butter or oleo
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon pepper of ½ teaspoon curry powder
• Bread crumbs
• Oil for the deep fryer or frying pan
• Parsley (optional)
• Dijon mustard

Directions:
• Simmer meat with salt, onion, and bay leaf in 1 ½ cups of water until meat is well done, at least an hour
• Save and strain the stock
• Measure it, adding water if necessary to equal 1 cup
• Cut meat into very small pieces
• Melt butter in sauce pan and blend in flour
• Blend stock with buttered flour mixture
• Bring to boil over medium heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly
• Remove from heat and add lemon juice, pepper or curry powder and 2 well beaten egg yolks as well as all the meat
• Spread mixture in shallow dish, cover and chill until firm, at least 2 hours and as long as overnight
• Cut unto 10 equal parts and, with floured hands, roll into firm cylinders
• Roll them in the bread crumbs
• Dip croquettes in a mixture of 2 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of water placed in a bowl
• Then roll them in the bread crumbs again. Be sure they are well coated on all sides
• Deep fry in 400F degree oil until chestnut brown
• Drain and serve hot, garnished with sprigs of parsley that have been deep-fried just until crisp
• Serve with Dijon mustard
To reheat, bake in uncovered dish in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. This recipe will yield about 10 croquettes that are about 3 inches long and an inch in diameter.
To make Bitterballen, which are served as appetizers, shape the mixture into 1 inch diameter balls and serve hot with tooth picks

babytears, Aug 14, 1:28am
Thanks. will definitely give these a go!

jazzryn, Aug 14, 2:32am
I got the recipe from my dutch FIL always used topside steak cut small and boiled till cooked and used that stock to make the sauce, a lot of curry flavour, nutmeg , marmite and lea and perrins sauce. Just love them, daughter makes them now