Ground almonds -

maximus44, Apr 24, 6:22am
Does anyone grind their own and if so do you use a coffee grinder or somerthing else! They seem to be expensive to buy ready ground. Thank you.

sumstyle, Apr 24, 6:25am
Cheaper at Binn Inn rather than the supermarket, if you have one local.

geldof, Apr 24, 6:30am
I have done them in the processor.You just have to be careful you don't end up with almond butter.

elliehen, Apr 24, 6:32am
Although that's good stuff and can be a different sort of happy ending.

cloudberry, Apr 24, 6:42am
I make my own almond meal using a nut/spice grinder like this:
http://www.breville.com.au/media/mediaappearance/11553/CG2B_inst_book.pdf

I grind up small amounts of raw almonds, skin and all, then sieve them and put thebigger lumps back in to go through the grinder again. It takes a while but that's ok, at least you know it's fresh and not rancid. It keeps indefinitely in the freezer and you can use it straight from the freezer. Some people skin and blanch them first but that takes forever!

davidt4, Apr 24, 6:56am
I just grind whole almonds, skin on, in my food processor.The almond meal that results is slightly grittier than commercial ground almonds and is an improvement in most cakes.

maximus44, Apr 24, 8:32am
Thanks for all your replies. I have just bought a macaroon recipe book and most of the recipes use ground almonds hence the reason for my asking.

angel404, Apr 24, 9:38am
How much was that grinder! I grind my own by hand and it takes forever!

cloudberry, Apr 24, 10:11am
Sorry, can't remember. I bought it from Briscoe's, though. Around $50 - ish I think. You can probably find one on here (TM.)

eljayv, Apr 24, 8:07pm
Asian supply stores or spice stores are more reasonable that supermarket.Whole almonds as Moshim 9.95 and ground almonds last time I checked around 18.00

peterg1, Apr 25, 8:08am
Ground some today to put in macarons. Did it in the coffee grinder as I found the food processor didn't grind it finely enough and the recipe called for the almonds to be sifted. Worked beautifully and the macarons are yummy.

nauru, Apr 26, 5:29am
I grind mine in a coffee grinder and they are very smooth. I don't blanch them either.Although you can grind to whatever consistency you like. KMart do a cheapy grinder, around $15 mark.