Davidt4 Help please

allurs, Apr 5, 10:36am
Wanting to make some yum asian style soups and thought you must have some favourites you could help out with all help appreciated thanks

davidt4, Apr 5, 10:54pm
Pho Ga (Hanoi Chicken Soup)

Serves 6 – 8

1 large free range chicken
1 kg chicken necks/wings/backs (or another whole chicken, or use chicken stock instead of water)
14 c cold water (or enough to cover chicken)
1 tsp salt
2 onions thinly sliced
1 tsp white peppercorns
5 cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
3 star anise
1 stick cinnamon
4 tab fish sauce
2 tab deep fried shallots
200g fresh ginger – char over gas and rinse
2 tsp palm sugar
400g rice noodles

to serve:
2 tab deep fried shallots
4 spring onions sliced
½ c chopped Vietnamese mint
1 c coriander sprigs
1 ½ c bean sprouts or watercress
4 chillies, chopped
3 – 4 limes in wedges

Put chicken/s in large saucepan with water/stock.Bring to a boil rapidly; add salt, onions, and spices.Char ginger and add half to broth.Simmer 40 min, skimming often.Remove whole chicken and allow to cool down until able to be handled.

Coarsely chop rest of ginger and add to broth with fish sauce, half of shallots and sugar.Pull chicken apart and return bones and skin to broth.Reserve meat in 3cm chunks.Simmer broth 30 – 60 min, strain and stand 30 min.If using dried noodles soak 30 min in cold water.

Skim fat off broth, reheat to boiling.Get serving bowls ready

Heat noodles by dunking in pan of boiling water.Divide amongst bowls, add handful of chicken meat, a little of everything else except chillies & limes.Serve with chillies & limes on the side.

Note:I don't add the noodles but add an extra 2 c of bean sprouts.

davidt4, Apr 5, 10:56pm
Chicken Soup with Greens

Serves 6

2 chicken legs/1 breast
6 c fresh chicken stock
2 c water
2 oz dried rice noodles, soaked in warm water 20 min & drained
6 stalks bok choi
3 tab fish sauce
salt
pepper

Rinse chicken, place in large pot with stock & water, simmer half covered 30 mins, skimming occasionally.Remove chicken.

When chicken is cool enough to handle shred meat, discard bones.Defat broth.

Cut noodles into 4” lengths.Slice bok choy 1’’ pieces.

Heat broth, add fish sauce and seasonings.Divide meat amongst bowls.Place noodles & greens in broth and bring to boils, stir well & ladle over chicken meat.

Rice can be added to bowls – ½ c per person.

davidt4, Apr 5, 10:56pm
Tom Yam Kung

serves 4

350g prawns, peeled and deveined with heads and shells reserved
(or white fish fillet cut in chunks)
1 tab oil
3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and bruised
3 slices galangal
2 litres chicken stock
5 - 7 bird’s eye chillies
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
2 tab fish sauce
70 g quartered button mushrooms
2 spring onions, sliced
3 tab lime juice
a few coriander leaves

If using prawns, heat oil in large pot, fry heads and shells 5 minutes.Add one stalk of lemongrass, galangal and stock.Bring to the boil, simmer 20 min.Strain stock and return to pot.

Finely slice remaining lemongrass and add to stock with chillies, lime leaves, fish sauce, mushrooms and spring onions.Simmer 2 min.

Add prawns or fish, cook 3 minutes, take off heatand add lime juice.Check seasoning and add more lime juice or fish sauce if needed.

Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

davidt4, Apr 5, 11:01pm
Tom Kha Gai

500g boneless and skinless chicken (breast or thighs, cut into strips)

10 button mushrooms, halved or quartered

1 1/2 cup coconut milk

1 cup water

1 stalk lemongrass (cut into 3-inch lengths and pounded)

6 kaffir lime leaves (lightly bruised to release the flavor)

6 slices galangal

8 bird’s eye chilies (lightly pounded)

3 tablespoon fish sauce

2 1/2 tablespoon lime juice (or to taste)

1 tablespoon chopped coriander

Add coconut milk, water, lemongrass, galangal, chilies, kaffir lime leaves into a pot and bring it to boil. Add straw mushrooms and chicken and boil it on medium heat for a few minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Add chopped coriander before serving.

buzzy110, Apr 5, 11:02pm
Hi davidt4. I have been meaning to ask you about slow roasted beef. I have done a slow roasted lamb for years - wine/stock or water, celery leaves and leek greens in a roasting dish, rack then the lamb (usually shoulder) with whatever seasoning, herbs and spices I desire. Roast at 220c for 20 minutes then cover and roast 4 hours at 150-160C.

That works well with lamb as the layer of fat keeps it succulent and prevents it from drying out. It is also a good time to throw in all of the other baked and roasted things than accompany a roast lamb and thus saving power. If I could be bothered I could even make a pudding or cake that cooks at the lower temperature at the same time.

I've not really come across any slow roasted beef. Any suggestions!

davidt4, Apr 5, 11:04pm
Ken's Tomato Egg Drop Soup(Ken Hom)

Yield: 4 servings

1 qt Chicken stock
2 med Fresh tomatoes
2 small Eggs
1/2 tsp Sesame oil
2 tsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp Salt
1 tab Finely chopped scallions
- white part only
- (reserve tops for garnish)

Egg Drop Soup is traditionally Chinese. Tomatoes are not. They were
introduced less than 100 years ago, but nevertheless, they work
wonderfully in this soup.

PUT THE CHICKEN STOCK into a pot and bring to a simmer. Peel, seed and cut tomatoes into 1-inch cubes.

Lightly beat the eggs, then
combine them with sesame oil in a small bowl.

Add the light soy sauce
and salt to the simmering stock, and stir to mix them in well. Add
the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Next, stir in the scallions,
and then add the egg mixture in a very slow, thin stream. Using a
chopstick or fork, pull the egg slowly into strands. (Stirring the
egg in a "figure 8" works well.) Garnish with the finely chopped
scallion tops.

davidt4, Apr 5, 11:05pm
Hunan Chicken Soup

1 whole free range chicken
9 dried mushrooms
3 chunks of Yunnan ham/prosciutto or prosciutto bones

Cover with water, bring to boil & skim.Add

2 spring onions
50g ginger, squashed

Simmer 60 min.Add

Handful black fungus,soaked

Simmer until chicken starts to fall apart (60 min for young free-range hen)

Take chicken out of liquid until cool enough to handle.Strain stock & defat.
Remove chicken breasts and keep for a salad.Discard bones & skin, return meat to stock and bring to boil.Add

1 bunch sliced gai lan/choy sum etc
Salt
Pepper
1 tsp sugar

Serve with chilli-bean sauce.

samanya, Apr 5, 11:39pm
You have to ask .really!

allurs, Apr 5, 11:43pm
Awesome many thanks

davidt4, Apr 6, 12:27am
You're very welcome.

davidt4, Apr 6, 12:33am
I can't really help much.Like you I slow-roast lamb and mutton frequently, but I tend to braise tough cuts of beef rather than roast them.Other than oxtail and short ribs I can't think of many cuts of beef that would be suitable slow-roasting, as mostcuts that have plenty of fat and connective tissue are too big for a domestic oven.Maybe brisket!

falcon-hell, Apr 6, 12:48am
davidt4-can you just pop around and bring some samples!

buzzy110, Apr 6, 12:53am
Thanks for that dt4. You reflected my thoughts on the subject entirely. I just had to check with someone who really knows about food. I quite like brisket. I might give it a try over winter.

samanya, Apr 6, 6:10am
That's nice.you asked "someone who really knows about food", but didn't get a definitive answer!.
Why not ask people who have done it for years, you know the types I mean .not towny trendy cooks, but people who have cooked beef slowly, for years & raised it themselves!.
I'm not going to tell you, simply because you'd disparage my input, but believe me, it can be done!

buzzy110, Apr 7, 12:02am
You amaze me. davidt4 has oodles of experience and to demean her vast skill and knowledge by including her in the category of "towny trendy cook" is just plain insulting and demeaning.

Unlike another poster on here who used to spend most of her time posting untried googled recipes and had everyone believing she knew what she was talking about.

Your instructions for slow cooked beef, were, imo, really incomplete.

elliehen, Apr 7, 3:29am
Source: Lauraine Jacobs in the Listener, Feb 25-Mar 2

"Bali has a special place in my heart because of the gracious hospitality offered to me during the Ubud Writers’ Festival two years ago. In her stunning book Bali: The Food of My Island Home (Pan McMillan $69.99), author Janet de Neefe shares her life, recipes and a visual feast of this exotic island.

While this year’s tomatoes are so good and the fish are biting, I have chosen an appropriate recipe. Some of the soup ingredients may be a bit tricky to source, but I found most of the paste ingredients in my supermarket."

KINTAMANI FISH SOUP
1.2kg fillets of snapper or other firm white
1 tbsp lime juice
sea salt
1 litre water
3 lemongrass stalks, bruised
3 kaffir lime leaves
3 tomatoes, each cut into 6
2 tsp wet tamarind pulp
1 tbsp grated palm sugar freshly ground white pepper
Spice Paste

3 tsp coriander seeds
2 red shallots, chopped
5 long red chillies, seeded and chopped
2 small red chillies, chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
2 tbsp galangal
1 tbsp chopped turmeric (or 1 tsp turmeric powder)
3 tsp chopped ginger
slice of shrimp paste (½ tsp)
Put the fish in a bowl and toss with the lime juice and 2 teaspoons of salt. Leave for 30 minutes. Pound the spice paste ingredients to a smooth paste in a large mortar or blitz in a blender or food processor with a splash of water. Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan, then add the spice paste, lemongrass and lime leaves. Boil for 5 minutes, then add the seasoned fish and juices with the tomato, tamarind and palm sugar. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serves 6-8.

samanya, Apr 7, 6:40am
I didn't give you any 'instructions'because as I said @ #15.you would disparage them, just as you have for any input I've made on this MB.
Plus, if you are inferring that I google recipes to post here .you haven't read my posts thoroughly or are setting out to demean me.
FYI .I was raised on home grown sheep & beef meats & the way my forebears cooked them, that's what I know .it wasn't 'fashionable' then to be a 'cook' .they just did it, through necessity to feed the hordes of fussy shearers & others . I have a treasured recipe book from my Mother called 'Mary had a little Lamb & this is how she cooked it' & a damned good one it is, for when they had to vary the menu, with just sheep meat on the menu, but trendy urban cooks wouldn't begin to understand that, would they .it's all about 'fashionable food' from what I glean from many posting here, whilst ignoringinput from those more experienced in certain areas.
I have saved many of davidt4's recipes as it's very obvious that he/she has a lot to offer regarding 'asian' cuisine . enjoy the Easter break, buzzyB.