Crystallized flowers

free-h-oldies, Feb 29, 3:07am
Does anyone know how to crystallize and store flowers, there was a recipe on the food channel lastnight and they used stored crystalized rose petals

cookessentials, Feb 29, 3:26am
egg white, painted on and caster sugar.this is how you crystalise violets anyway.

free-h-oldies, Feb 29, 5:20am
thanks cooks, after that can they be frozen or do you store them in a dry place and also how long would they keep

cookessentials, Feb 29, 7:44am
I wouldn't freeze them, probably in an airtight container.not sure how long they would keep though.

xpatch, Feb 29, 7:45am
Keep them in a tin, not a plastic container.

cookessentials, Feb 29, 7:47am
Have just done a search for you. Here is a link you may find interesting, just scroll down somewhat to see the recipe and instructions. Storage instructions are similar to what I thought, but they store between layers oftissue paper
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EllenEaston/Crystallized_CandyFlowers.htm

free-h-oldies, Feb 29, 8:23am
Thankyou so much for your help cooks

cookessentials, Feb 29, 9:30pm
Your'e very welcome. let us know how they turn out!

free-h-oldies, Feb 29, 11:08pm
Wow shop you are right I probably will become addicted and yes cooks I will let you know, Im busy making nectarine chutney today, I cant keep up with the fruit falling of the trees

cookessentials, Mar 1, 2:50am
Sounds delicious.care to share the recipe!

free-h-oldies, Mar 3, 12:06am
Sorry it took so long cooks my internet has been down.I use Digby Laws recipe.Nectarine Chutney.2kg stone fruit, 500g onions,100g crystallized ginger,250g preserved mixed peel,500g raisins,500g brown sugar,3tabs salt,1teaspn cayenne pepper,1tab curry powder,31/2 cups malt vinegar.Chop nectarines,onions,& ginger, put into large poth with rest of ingredients and mix well.Bring to the boil and cook gently for 1 to 11/2 hours stirring occasionally. Spoon into clean jars when cold and seal.makes about 4 litres.lovely when aged

cookessentials, Mar 3, 12:50am
Brilliant, thank you for that. How are you going with the crystalised flowers!

free-h-oldies, Mar 3, 12:54am
I havent done any yet but my neighbor has a lovely garden so when weather improves im going to see what would be edible and give it a go