Can l use trevally instead of snapper

griffo4, Feb 20, 6:03am
l bought trevally today as the snapper was so expensive and then l decided to make a recipe that calls for snapper so thought l would ask on here if it will be alright!

l also got a smoked kahawai and l thought l would make a fish pie, any ideas for recipes please
TIA

davidt4, Feb 20, 6:06am
Trevally is a much oilier fish than snapper and has a stronger flavour.I like it a lot, but I wouldn't treat it in the same way as snapper, which is non-oily and very mild.Try it grilled and served with a lemony mayo.

griffo4, Feb 20, 7:07am
Thank you for that davidt4
can you recommend another fish to replace the snapper!

beaker59, Feb 20, 7:38am
Terakihi, gurnard, bluenose harpuka etc are good replacements, but what is the recipe because trevelly may be suitable it just won't taste like snapper.

beaker59, Feb 20, 7:39am
I love Trev in raw fish, island style.

beaker59, Feb 20, 7:47am
A family favourite, flake the smoked fish into a couple of cups of cheese sauce some sauted onions and a cup of frozen peas 6 hard boiled eggs cut in half and turned into the mix check seasoning usually doesn't need salt but can take a fair bit of pepper into a large baking dish and top with mash potato then some grated cheese on top. put in oven for half an hour to heat through and melt cheese maybe turn the grill on for a bit to brown the cheese up a bit. A real confort food meal, :)

clareo, Feb 20, 9:15am
Use the trevally as bait to catch the snapper !

fisher, Feb 20, 9:21am
you forgot the parsley:}

beaker59, Feb 20, 10:39am
Some people don't like it toooo fancy Fisher ;)

I also didn't talk about the bayleaves in the milk when making the cheese sauce.

mudguts1, Feb 20, 6:21pm
cant see what people see in snapper!i i prefer blue cod-gurnard-trevalley and give most of the snaps away-every one to their own aye!

bbq-bro, Feb 20, 6:33pm
yup that,alot cheaper option too.once marinated in that coconut cream.,mmmmmmmmm

davidt4, Feb 20, 9:21pm
Yes!It's as good as tuna when it's raw.I use trevally to make ceviche, and it is also excellent as sashimi.

craig04, Feb 21, 12:52am
I usually buy tarakihi to replace snapper in recipes, it is a nicer fish IMO anyway and substitutes really well

griffo4, Feb 21, 6:07am
Thank you for your inputs
l made the fish pie by sauteing onions in balsamic vinegar and added celery, leek, corn, and other vegies and made the cheese sauce and added the fish and vegies and put in pie dish and put on potato top and it is in the oven now
Fisher l did add parsley but didn't put eggs in but will do next time

The snapper recipe l have posted below and see what your thoughts are thanks
The terakihi was almost as expensive as the snapper so went for the trevally
l have made this recipe and it is really nice

Snapper & Scallop Champagne Mornay
40g butter
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
1 teaspoon each: crushed garlic, grated fresh ginger, celery seeds
½ cup flour
½ cup champagne or sparkling wine
250ml fish stock, heated
1 cup cream
4 fillets (400-450g) snapper, cut into bite sized chunks
24 scallops
¼ cup bread or panko crumbs
2-3 tablespoons grated parmesan
Preheat oven to 190C
Heat the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and celery seeds for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant
Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture has a sandy texture
Add the champagne or sparkling wine and simmer until the liquid has nearly evaporated
Gradually stir in the hot fish stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce is smooth and creamy
Add the cream and reduce the heat to low
Fold in the snapper and scallops and cook gently until the fish is white and scallops are opaque
Check the seasonings and adjust to taste
Spoon the seafood mornay into an ovenproof serving dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan
Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling
Serve immediately
Serves 8-10
Tip
You can prepare the mornay several hours ahead and chill it until nearly ready to serve
Sprinkle over the breadcrumb and parmesan topping and bake in the oven until bubbling and heated through