Glacial acetic acid

alan.pauline.l, Feb 10, 5:27am
Wish to use this in the making of this season's homemade tomato sauce but it is now unavailable at Tauranga pharmacies - does anyone know where it cn be obtained - only need a small amount

katalin2, Feb 10, 5:40am
Do you know why they don't have it in stock! Are they out of it because it is preserving time and everyone wants it or some other reason! Some years ago I could not get it in Christchurch but son in Hamilton managed to get some for me- I think the chemist ordered it in specially for him. I use it for my gherkins so do hope it is still available.

shickenmcboing, Feb 10, 5:47am
kensington phy in whangarei has it in stock all year round

korbo, Feb 10, 5:47am
kat, what how do you use it for gherkins !

makespacenow, Feb 10, 5:49am
www.deltaed.co.nz stocks it

katalin2, Feb 10, 9:02pm
I make an Alison Holst recipe- here is the recipe:
Gherkins:
2kg small gherkins
1/2 c plain salt
2 c sugar
4 c water
3 T (45 ml ) glacial acetic acid
fresh dill
bayleaf
Instructions
Wash gherkins; sprinkle with salt and leave for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Drain off the brine formed after 2-3 hours; pour enough boiling water over drained gherkins to cover them.
Bring sugar, water and acetic acid to the boil, simmer for 2-3 minutes, then ttturn off the heat.
Drain the boiling water from the gherkins; pack tightly into hot jars, adding dill and bay leaves to each jar.
Pour the very hot sweetened acid mixture over the hot gherkins sso they are covered.
Screw on plastic tops.
Leave for at least 2 weeks before using.

I seal the jars using old dolmio type jars so they stay crunchy all year.
Iuse glacial acetic acid for a lot of my sauces and pickles as there is not so much liquid so you don't have to boil for hours to thicken.

korbo, Feb 11, 5:52am
thank you for the info. is there an aftertaste. just never heard of it before.

makespacenow, Feb 11, 6:09am
it is just a vinegar
the one you buy in store is 5% or just above glacial acetic acid is really 99% vinegar (I may be wrong about the % so please be gentle on me) hence the tiny amount required.as you dilute it with water.just for pickling etc you want something stronger than the standard 5%

katalin2, Feb 11, 9:11am
No aftertaste- just like white vinegar. Make sure you buy glacial acetic acid rather than just acetic acid( which is much weaker) . Also, make sure you don't try to smell the glacial acetic acid straight from the bottle as it has a very strong smell. Fine once diluted.