What happened to the quiche?

sooz11, Feb 8, 4:58am
I suggested to a friend that she add A FEW beaten egg whites to the egg base of her quiche, which I always do, it creates a light fluffly mix, HOWEVER,, upon arrival yesterday I was greeted by a very irate girl, her quiche was a disaster, almost burnt on the outside and very runny in the middle!What on earth could have happened! To me it looked as though her oven temp was wrong and I have no idea what quiche recipe she used, but she was too angry to internalise what could have gone wrong.! HELP

nfh1, Feb 8, 5:04am
I would find a new friend.

sooz11, Feb 8, 5:12am
loooooooooooooooool

nfh1, Feb 8, 5:15am
Hahah - sorry I could not resist it.I wonder if there is something wrong with her oven!Fancy her getting so cross about a quiche.

sooz11, Feb 8, 5:22am
Cross is mild to the describing word I could have used,, very very awkward, my voice of reason said to me, the cook always blames someone or something when they lose dignity!

davidt4, Feb 8, 5:26am
Sounds as if the oven was too hot.The beaten egg whites would increase the volume of the filling and it would therefore take longer to cook.Your friend does sound a bit intense.

nfh1, Feb 8, 5:30am
You sound much more reasonable then me.

moviebug, Feb 8, 5:46am
Poor you:-)You must feel awful.

The result depends on the recipe. You say you suggested a 'few' extra egg whites, but you don't say how many extra egg whites your friend added, orthe size of the quiche.

At first glance it seems that the pastry cooked too quickly, not allowing the contents of the quiche to cook through.Egg white usually firms contents, so at a guess I would say that the oven temperature was slightly too high. I am no expert though. Others will advise.

sooz11, Feb 8, 6:41am
She added 6 whites 6 yolks, the "few" somehow got lost in translation, however, as dramas usually do, they turn out in the end, dare I take her a quiche tomorrow night!

moviebug, Feb 8, 8:10am
You have a wicked sense of humour. I wouldn't risk taking quiche tomorrow. Maybe freshcherries or something else completely different from quiche. And utterly delicious.