Pom-Pom would you please post your GF Tortila Wrap

aw217, Feb 5, 9:36am
I have been looking over old threads for Gluten Free recipes for my 7 year old Daughter. I read you talking about a rice tortila wrap that you make, I would love to try it.
Anyone else got good Gluten free recipes or ideas they could share please, it would make my little one's 'life' more interesting if I can give her something a bit different!

davidt4, Feb 5, 9:28pm
Chocolate Almond Cake

Serves at least 8

125g bitter chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
1 tab. brandy (or strong coffee or water)
1 tab. strong coffee
100g butter
100g caster sugar
100g ground almonds
3 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 160° C.Butter an 18 cm round tin and line bottom with baking paper.

Put chocolate, brandy & coffee in a bowl over hot water and allow to melt undisturbed.Stir gently to combine.Add butter & sugar and combine.Add almonds and mix well.Beat egg yolks and mix in well.

Beat egg whites until firm, beat in a large tab. then pour chocolate mixture into remaining whites and fold in gently.

Pour into tin and bake 40 – 45 min until almost set but still a little soft in the centre.Cool completely in tin (best overnight).Turn out carefully.

davidt4, Feb 5, 9:29pm
Mediterranean Orange Cake
23cm tin

3 oranges – cut off tops and bottoms, simmer 2 hours, drain, puree. in food processor.Cover and chill several hours or overnight

15g baking powder
310g ground almonds
8 eggs
310g caster sugar
flaked almonds

Grease and line tin.Heat oven to 170 C.
Mix baking powder & almonds together.
Mix eggs & sugar together until just combined.Do not beat.
Measure 375g of orange puree, add to eggs along with almond mixture.
Mix gently until well combined.Pour into tin and scatter with flaked almonds.
Bake 70 - 80 min.Cool overnight in tin.

herself, Feb 6, 12:57am
No fail Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup of peanut butter1 cup of caster sugar
1 egg
Mix together until smooth, then pop teaspoonsful of the mix onto your baking tray (greased and floured or covered with baking paper) flatten with a wet fork and bake at 170C 16 – 20 mins. until golden. And no - I haven't made a mistake and left out the flour - there's none in this recipe. It's brilliant though. So easy. you can also add half a cup of chocolate chips if you want to be extra indulgent!Crunchy or soft, depending on how long you bake them for. Use Eta or Sanitarium peanut butter - they don't have extra sugar added. If you use another brand cut back on the sugar a bit.
Recipe can be doubled.

herself, Feb 6, 12:58am
Lemon Shortbread
250g butter, softened but not melted1 1/2 cups maize cornflour
1/2 cup rice flour3/4 cup Gluten free Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
Preheat oven to 150°C. Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and well combined. Roll dough on a maize cornflour dusted surface to a 1 cm thickness. Cut into fingers or press out shapes using cookie cutters. Place on a baking tray and prick with a fork. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until pale but crisp (longer slower baking is the trick with shortbread). Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.Makes 35 - 40 pieces.

herself, Feb 6, 1:00am
Spice Biscuits
200g butter (melted)½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp golden syrup1 Tbsp mixed spice
1 Tbsp cinnamon2 cups GF baking mix
Mix wet ingredients together and then add dry ingredients. On a floured (GF) bench, roll and cut into shapes. Place on greased tray and bake for approx 30 mins at 160 degrees. Very nice when iced.

herself, Feb 6, 1:01am
Forgotten Cakes
2 egg whites (room temp)pinch of salt
2/3 cup caster sugar½ cup rice bubbles
½ cup choc chips or chopped chocolatevanilla essence
Heat oven to 180C. Beat egg whites and salt until fairly stiff, gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy. Fold in rice bubbles and chocolate and add vanilla. Cover a baking tray with aluminium foil. Drop teaspoons of mixture onto tray. Turn off oven and place tray in it, leave undisturbed for 3 hours or overnight. Store in airtight tins.

nanasee1, Feb 6, 6:21am
My GF wrap recipe - hope it is useful for you
1 egg
3 Tbsp GF Flour
Pinch Salt
Enough water to mix to the consistency of cream (1 – 2 Tbsp it depends on the flour)
Beat egg, flour, salt & water together – I use the Whizz.
Pour a little into a non-stick fry pan & tilt the pan to spread it around, cook until it starts to bubble, then turn and cook the other side. (Similar to cooking pikelets)
Fill with spread (we like hummus) salad etc as usual. Roll tightly then wrap in plastic wrap to store.
I find it easier to make these when needed or the night before for school lunches. They don’t keep like normal wraps.
You can add chopped garlic, herbs & other flavourings as wished. Lovely with chopped parsley or coriander.

aw217, Feb 6, 10:10am
Yum, They look great, thanks so much. I think she will be delighted to look in the baking tins and find something yummy for her. Does anyone have a tried and true brownie recipe! I have a good gluten one but it does not convert well to GF. Cheers

pom-pom, Feb 9, 8:42am
Hi - just spotted this! 175g rice flour, 75g potato starch, 25g tapioca starch (all from Binn Inn), 2 tsp sugar, 1/2-1 tsp salt, 1 tsp xantham gum (I miss this out as they're expensive and I don't like using gums) 250ml warm water. Mix all together and add last bit of water slowly (you may now need it all). Use glad wrap and roll flat and thin with rice flour or potato starch to stop them sticking. Heat fry pan (very very lightly oiled) and make sure pan is hot - cook quickly both sides to maintain flexibility.
On the subject of wraps I also use the masa harina (Mexican corn based mix) from New World (sometimes if you are lucky!) as these make good wraps. I usually put a filling such as Tuna mayo (GF of course) in it to keep moist. Use in the same way as Nanasee recommends.
Play around in the kitchen with various crepe and tortila recipes - everyone seems to have a different one that works! Egg wraps work OK too - there are plenty of recipes available.