How to choose mangoes?

datoofairy, Jan 24, 12:51am
I love mangoes, they are my favourite fruit. However I am totally sick of buying them only to cut into them and find they are all brown inside. I am completely baffled as to how to choose a good mango. There doesnt seem to be any relationship to how they look on the outside as to how good they are inside. No matter how long I spend trying to decide if this one is soft enough, firm enough, red enough, green enough or whatever, its still 50/50 as to whether it will be edible inside.
How do you know whats a good mango and whats not! And why do they go brown inside!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 24, 1:20am
Smell them.Only ripe fruit with flavor will smell like the fruit it is. Goes for all fruit.'most' of the mango's on the nz market are not cool stored to such a harsh degree (unlike other fruits)

Brown inside is a different story, you should be taking those back to the supermarket, they show they have been frozen or well below their ideal chilled temp and then rapidly defrosted which leads to the flesh oxidizing. Brown can also mean they are over ripe but it would be a pulpy feeling mango to be at that stage so the former most likely applies in NZ.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4432221_choose-mangos.html

cookessentials, Jan 24, 1:35am
Dont buy Mexican ones. There are some great Australian ones at the moment such as Kensington pride or R2E2 which is my favourite. When smelling them, they should have a rich, sweet smell.

gerry64, Jan 24, 2:28am
I bought several over here in Oz and was disappointed so next time in the Fruit market asked this old man who was buying them to show me the one to buy - when he gave me the ripe one it had a very distinct smell - another that looked just about the same he asked me to smell and it was entirely different - over here you see people smelling everything even lettuce

pickles7, Jan 24, 4:52am
I hope you take the brown ones back.
They go brown from being stored incorrectly, take them back, it is the only way to force better storage practices.
I do not except rubbish fruit and veg any more.

wheelz, Jan 24, 5:07am
Surely an exagerration ! Don't we wash or peel our fruit anyway ! So what's wrong with a sniff !!

pickles7, Jan 24, 5:37am
no, not sniffing, I said rubbing there nose over the fruit. Any part of a nose touching fruit is unexceptable

datoofairy, Jan 24, 5:42am
Thanks heaps all. I did wonder if the inside went brown due to the way it had been stored.I've bought mangoes that were brown inside but still not ripe.I will from now on smell my fruit, taking extra to not let my nose touch the fruit.lol.
Seriously though, who doesnt wash their fruit!You have no way of knowing whats been on it before you bought it.Chemicals, insect poo, mould from other fruit,maybe the person who picked it also picked their nose or didnt wash their hands after they went to the toilet.its doesnt really bear thinking about. Ick.

arcane1315, Jan 24, 7:50am
Lol i choose the ones that have fallen off the tree.mango season here on rarotonga and the trees are absolutely covered in them

gilligee, Jan 24, 8:01am
I always wash fruit with water but always feel it is ineffective. A good scrub with soap and water is probably what is needed but who bothers to do that!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 24, 7:57pm
A cap of 3% hydrogen Peroxide (food grade) into a sink of cold water (full sink) soak and lightly scrub all your fruit and hard vege.Same deal with chopping boards (but I have this mix in a trigger bottle).