Limoncello brewers!

jcsolgier, Jan 12, 8:37am
Limoncello newbie here, worried about conflicting recipes. Do you strain the vodka/lemon mix before or a few weeks after adding the sugar syrup!

Thanks in advance!

beaker59, Jan 12, 10:28am
I don't strain mine seems to work well.

A small tip, its all about the lemons and Mayer lemons just don't work.

jcsolgier, Jan 12, 7:46pm
thanks for that - I have no idea what sort of lemons they are; they are from my parents tree that seems to have fruit on it all year round (can you grow lemons from cuttings!) They seem really big, thick skinned and bumpy besides the ones you get from the supermarket, could they be meyers!

davidt4, Jan 12, 8:34pm
They don't sound like Meyers; maybe they are Lisbons, which are great.Meyers are medium sized, smooth skinned and dark yellow, with a distinctive smell that is quite different to real lemons.

The best flavoured Limoncello is made the old fashioned Sicilian way where you suspend the lemons in a muslin bag over the spirits inside a big jar.The oils and other aromatics are slowly drawn out of the fruit and you get a much more interesting flavour.I'll see if I can find a link for you later today.

jed, Jan 12, 8:39pm
I use Ben Yen lemons.Infuse the skin only (no pith) in vodka for 2-3 days then remove skin and add sugar syrup mix.Very YUM and easy to make.

purplegoanna, Jan 12, 10:02pm

mwood, Jan 12, 10:29pm
You could be lucky here - they sound like Citrons - the original "lemon" used for Limoncello - please post the complete recipe and method you are using.

jcsolgier, Jan 12, 10:37pm
I used the recipe on egullet - sounded like it had lots of good reviews.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php!/topic/40048-making-limoncello/
It's the fifth post down.

jcsolgier, Jan 12, 10:40pm
Purplegoanna - yours is the oppositen of mine. Hopefully it doesn't make too much difference

vintagekitty, Jan 13, 12:41am
which are the smoothed skin type commonly sold in the supermarkets!.

davidt4, Jan 13, 4:04am
The smooth-skinned pale yellow lemons commonly sold in supermarkets are usually Yen Ben or Eureka.

lindylambchops1, Jan 13, 4:34am
Limoncello
Yield: approximately 60 ounces
Adapted from a recipe by George Germon and Johanne Kileen, Al Forno, Providence, Rhode Island.Limoncello is a traditional Sicilian after-dinner drink, and should be served neat, straight from the freezer.
12 medium lemons
1 litre grain alcohol
2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
Carefully pare the zest from the lemons, taking care not to take any of the white pith along with the zest. Place the zest into a large glass container with a close-fitting lid, reserving the pulp and juice for another use. Pour in the grain alcohol and close the container. Leave the mixture to mellow for one week in a dark place.
Combine the sugar and the water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature, add it to the lemon zest mixture, close the container again and allow the lemoncello to mellow for one more week.
Strain the mixture through a double layer of dampened cheesecloth into bottles, and place the bottles in the freezer.

ants9, Jan 13, 4:41am
Are they really juicy! Just wondering as we have 2 lemon trees,one is similar to your one and the other is one where they are pretty much a std shape and a pale lemon color,thick but not as juicy!

mwood, Jan 13, 5:19am
that's a fairly good recipe but, if you really want to make limoncello, you should start by making your own vodka that way you can start the infusion with say 1 litre of 75% ABV Vodka (150 proof) and add a 2nd litre of 40% ABV (80 proof) after the first filtering. The higher ABV makes for a better extraction of the oils and colour. Note also the purpose of heating the simple sugar syrup with a little lemon juice is to invert the sugar which means a less sweet but more stable syrup that won't recrystallize. Making your own Vodka (Tafia) will only cost about $2 a litre and is good for many infusions - check this websitehttp://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

jcsolgier, Jan 13, 5:21am
Ah well, ended up straining it last night cause i was worried and impatient lol, next batch I will strain after adding syrup and mellowing and see if there is a difference.
Ants9 - yup, they are really juicy and tangy and delicious. They make the best lemon curd, and hopefully limoncello. Maybe you have one like ours and a meyer or something!

jcsolgier, Jan 13, 5:26am
Thanks for that, our liqour store only have 80-proof vodka which was a bit of a bummer, I don't have a still though so making vodka is a bit out of the question for me, I don't drink enough of the stuff to justify buying one I don't think. Then again, if the limoncello buzz catches on I may just need to!

ants9, Jan 13, 6:05am
Thanks,we have a turbo still and make our own spirits,but after 6kgs of sugar going in and then adding even more for the above recipe,hmm not too good for my waist :) I'll stick to Bourbon :)