How do you correctly

summer129, Jan 10, 5:01am
pronounce hoki. Just watched food in a minute and I have never heard it pronounced the way she does.

gardie, Jan 10, 5:35am
Depends if you want Maori pronounciation (Hor key) or Kiwi. (Hoe key).Not really sure if it is a true blue Maori word but maybe in this world of politically correctness we should all change how we pronounce it!

kuaka, Jan 10, 8:33am
But sometimes the newsreaders pronounce some of the Maori names in such a way that we have to resort to a map to discover the location of the place they are talking about.I wouldn't mind all this pc nonsense so much if all nz'rs spoke the language in a similar way, but let's be honest a lot of Maori don't speak the same English as the rest of us.

shop-a-holic, Jan 10, 12:07pm
You are correct.

shop-a-holic, Jan 10, 12:12pm
There are only two official languages of New Zealand. One is Maori and the other is Sign Language.
I'm not advising you to learn Maori, but I believe its really cool to live in a country which has such a unique and beautiful sounding language to call our own regardless of our personal education levels of same. It will only get better as time passes on.

sarahb5, Jan 10, 9:04pm
Actually there's three officially that's why legislation is able to be drafted in English

kuaka, Jan 10, 10:13pm
That's what I thought.What bugs me is that native English speaking people are expected to correctly pronounce anything Maori, but it seems a lot of Maori are quite happy to trash the English language.

gardie, Jan 10, 10:19pm
According to a few websites via google, shopaholic is right.Two official languages with English being used as a default language!Even the NZ curriculum says the same.

shop-a-holic, Jan 10, 10:20pm
Here's a link which may explain why English is a defacto language of New Zealand (same in Australia); and not an Official one :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_English_is_an_official_language

shop-a-holic, Jan 10, 10:26pm
People are not expect to pronounce Maori correctly. It's just a case of putting your listening ears on. I can't find any evidence of Maori trashing the english language.

sarahb5, Jan 10, 10:31pm

richard198, Jan 10, 11:04pm
If you are speaking in Maori, say "Hor-key"
If you are speaking in English, say "Hoe-key"
(We call it Paris and the French call it Paree)

justwiki, Jan 11, 12:42am
If I was in France I'd say, Par ree. Where do you live exactly!

justwiki, Jan 11, 12:44am
I expect it, it just doesn't happen.IMO MOST people are too lazy, ignorant or arrogant.

richard198, Jan 11, 1:43am
Exactly, when speaking French so would I.
I don't think I've heard people (English, American Spanish, German, whoever) when in France; speak to each other and say Paree. They all use the common pronounciation suitable to their own languages.
Likewise, if I heard French people speaking French, I would expect them to say Londres. If they were speaking English, they would say London.
It's not where you live that counts; it's the language you are currently speaking that matters.

justwiki, Jan 11, 7:34am
I would try extremely hard to pronounce things the way they are meant to be sai. I don't speak fluent French but if I was using a french word then I'd do my darndest to say it properly, as i would any word fom any other country. How arrogant is it to expect 'foreign' words to suit the language one is speaking! This includes the correct pronunciation of Maori words. Not surprisingly being butchered by the good old 'Kiwi' claimants. Honestly foreigners are more respectful than locals!