Washing new towels

itsmineah, Jan 9, 10:59pm
I know this is a cooking thread but there are some great woman on here that I thought may be able to help me out.
I have brought 10 brand new white towels and I read that you are supposed to soak them in empsons salts before washing to make them absorbent but the cost of a packet is $13 and I would need a couple of them
.I wondered if there was something else that I could use to keep the cost down,any hepl would be appreciated greatly

seniorbones, Jan 9, 11:01pm
I just wash mine didnt and add comfort to the end cycle,know about epsom salts! but $26 would be a bit costly.

jcsolgier, Jan 9, 11:14pm
Washing them with about a cup of white vinegar in the rinse works, if I am not mistaken.

sarahb5, Jan 9, 11:31pm
This - I have never used fabric softener on towels or tea towels because it decreases their absorbancy and I now use white vinegar in my other washing instead of fabric softener as well - keeps the machine cleaner and clothes are just as soft.Epsom salts, I think, is used to set the colour but if they're white towels that won't matter anyway because there is none!

gingercrush, Jan 9, 11:36pm
Honestly. If you buy flimsy tea towels then those flimsy tea towels will be useless. You want the tea towels to be thick and just wash them before hand slightly warm. We have kitchenworx tea towels. No idea where you get them as I asked my mum and step dad to get them for Christmas. Before hand we were buying flimsy ones and it didn't matter where they were useless. The only other tea towel I bought that was quite decent was one from countdowm. It was stripped and reasonably thick.

rugbyref, Jan 9, 11:39pm
how much white vinegar do you add!

sarahb5, Jan 9, 11:41pm
For my normal washing the same amount I would use if I used fabric softener.For new towels I'd probably use a bit more because you need to be sure you've got rid of the "finisher" coating so probably a cupful would be enough in the final rinse.

sarahb5, Jan 9, 11:42pm
x1
How do flimsy teatowels come into the discussion about white towels!

gingercrush, Jan 9, 11:47pm
Lets just say I had a very confused moment.

kinna54, Jan 9, 11:49pm
A couple of pkts of epsom salts: no way! You only need to add a couple of teaspoons to the machine. And you can buy it loose at bin Inn, and I have even seen it at Bunnings.
When I wash new towels I use a warm to hot wash (short cycle) and not a lot of soap powder, and add a few spoons of ordinary salt to ensure colour fastness, and add it again in the final rinse. (This cuts the "dressing chemical" that is used as a finish on a lot of fabrics. I also do this with new sheets and jeans.)
I don't use a lot of softner in my towels, this causes a build up, and can make the towels less absorbent.
Too much soap powder can also cause hard towels. I also often take the towels off the line and just give a gentle tumble in a coolish dryer for a couple of mins, just to fluff up, and I always wash towels seperately to other washing. Hope this helps.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 9, 11:50pm
! where are you buying this gold plated Ep salts! You can buy it from most supermarkets in 500g bags for under $3! its normally in the washing isle OR (this is the odd place I find it in some supermarkets) in the hardware Isle.

Also I never use washing POWDER, I find it makes everything 'crunchy' once its dried.I Only use the eco or bio washing liquids and never have issues with hard washing or non absorbency (some washing powders can make your towels feel like sandpaper!)

itsmineah, Jan 10, 4:40am
Thanks ladies,it was to get rid of the dressing on the towels not as a fabric softner.The amount of empsoms salts I read to use must have had the wrong amount written on it and yes it is expensive here in victoria,I wonder if the price has gone up because it is used more often now,havent seen it in bunnings though I might have a look out for it. Havent heardof the salt idea before,wouldnt it be a bit harsh on the washing machine though.

rugbyref, Jan 10, 5:04am
Does that work for sheets as well, I've brought some Egyptian cotton sheets and the are so noisy and stiff. TIA

pamols, Jan 10, 5:26am
I was told treat them like fish and chips, ie salt and vinegar.

kuaka, Jan 10, 8:29am
Epsom salts cost an arm and a leg at the garden centres or chemist, cheap as chips at the supermarkets - all depends on where you buy it.

rasin11, Jan 10, 9:55am
I just soak towels and tea towels in water overnight when first purchased with noting added to the water. They fluff up really well.

seniorbones, Jan 12, 2:52am
I too dont use washing powder I use liquid - it was recommended when I bought the machine and not supposed to get the yukky build up - I get one called 'earth choice'exclusive to countdown 4L container that has a tap on it only uses 50 - 75mls at a time depending on the size of the load and dare I say it - its from australia! But its only around $22, sometimes $18 on specialand well worth it lasts about 6 weeks but there is only two adults and two animals here. biodegradable & Septic tank safe. I will try the white vinegar too instead of comfort. I never dry towels in the drier it takes all the fluff off them!

sarahb5, Jan 12, 5:53am
I don't use liquid but I always dissolve my powder before washing and only use about 1/2 or 2/3 the amount they recommend - something I was told to do when I got my first top loader - and using the vinegar instead of softener certainly stops the scummy build up.I actually don't like fluffy towels - we had some navy blue ones that were so fluffy the whole bathroom was forever covered in a fine covering of dark blue fluff - drove me nuts!

nzl99, Jan 12, 5:56am
x1
Just wash em and give 'em to the husband to use for the first month. that way all the bad stuff is shimmied off onto him. not you.

kinna54, Jan 12, 8:01am
Definitely not: if anything it will help clean and de clog it. Overseas many washing machinemanufacturers recommend the addition of salt to the soap powder content, simply for that reason: to break down chemicals from the dressing on fabrics.
I used to work in a fabric/manchester shop many years ago and this was a recommended doctrine that was advised to customers.

sunshine78, Jan 12, 9:04am
I've always just filled the bath with cold water and let them sit in there over night before the very first wash. No salts or vinegar and they come up fluffy and absorbent.