Oh boy do I need help

sting9, Dec 26, 10:09pm
Having guests for dinner on New Years Eve.All big meat eaters except me no meat .vegetarian.Easy I thought a BBQ will solve everything, well the weather looks like it is going to be the pits even cold!
Can anyone give me a recipe for a main, with chicken, that I can prepare the day before! I love to spend time with guests and hate being stuck in the kitchen.I am trolled the internet but I'm scared to try something that I'm not sure will be nice.Would really like some help.Thanks

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 10:14pm
you could still BBQ, just cook it in the garage or shelter and eat inside!

timetable, Dec 26, 10:17pm
why dont you just do a good old roast chicken with stuffing, cook it the day before and then split it up and lay it out on a nice platter, cover and keep cold in the fridge. just before serving dress it up with nice bunch's of parsley and cherry tom's and have a variety of salads with nice dressings and the stuffing to go with it. you could also do a sausage meat stuffing that you cook sep in tin foil in the oven and that way you have a selection.i just through the sausagemeat in a bowl and mix in a finely chopped onion, a small can of crushed pinapple, s & pepper, 1 egg, fresh chopped herbs, finely chopped peacan's.spray the piece of tin foil and then make the sausage meat into a log roll up well in the tin foil and bake at 150deg for about an hour.when cold just slice into pieces. hope that is off help. have fun!

rainrain1, Dec 26, 10:37pm
This makes a lot.It is a recipe copied from trademe, but I don't know whose it was. You could make it the night before and refridgerate till next day

Peanut Chicken and Rice

Ingredients 1 tablespoon oil, 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts thinly sliced, 1 onion chopped, 3 cloves garlic crushed, 400g can chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 3 cups chicken stock, 1 1/2 cups basmati or jasmine rice, 1 large pinch thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Cook the chicken slices until sealed (slightly brown) then set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook till soft. Return the chicken to the pan and mix in the tomatoes, peanut butter, curry powder and thyme and mix well to disperse the peanut butter through the mixture.
Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. When the mixture is boiling stir in the salt and rice. Return the mixture to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Cook for 20 minutes on low, then check to see if all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Serve with a salad or green vegetables.

valentino, Dec 26, 10:48pm
What sort of BBQ do you have, if Hooded then Rottisserie the chickens as these can be done and served hot without being or standing over the BBQ, just set it up and leave it to it's thing then when time is near, check it and lower heat or turn off if done but is kept warm.

245sam, Dec 26, 10:54pm
A suggestion - the chicken on the following link:-

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/4-12-cup-chicken.html

It's really easy (and nice too) and for your entertaining purposes I suggest that you either serve it hot as suggested in the recipe or cook it the day before and serve it cold with vegetables and/or salads and if your guests are really serious carnivores, maybe some other cold meats.

Hope that helps.:-))

sjc72, Dec 26, 11:35pm
I know you said chicken, but if you wanted other ideas, you could get a side of beef rump and roast it in the oven, then slice it into steaks for serving - you have it quite pink.

valentino, Dec 27, 1:12am
Mad Butcher have some Hellaby's Garlic and Pepperred Roasts Beef, do these in the slowcookers, allow to cool overnight in the fridge and is Beautiful sliced cold, far better than served hot. I was very surprised when initially tried a few months ago firstly hot served but the left-over went into fridge for a couple of sammys on the following day - very delicious and awesome when cold. Did a couple as a compliment to Ham for Christmas Dinner and all was totally demolished.

Editing to note that when put into the slowcooker - do not add anything else - just let it sit in it and let the slow cooker do the rest, 3 hours on high then 2 hours on the lower setting is all I did.

Cheers.

lythande1, Dec 27, 3:12am
sting9 wrote:
HI am trolled the internet /quote]
Trolled! Trolls are mythical creatures in fairy tales.
Trawled is what you probably mean.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 3:32am
to troll or trawl, same thing

davidt4, Dec 27, 4:47am
I wasn't sure, so I looked it up and here's how the urban dictionary describes trolling :

"Searching the internet for the purpose of mating or nonreproductive sex."

I think maybe the original poster really did mean trawling.

mike92, Dec 27, 4:52am
Go the supermarket, and by a cooked chicken! And a deli meat platter!

Most meat eaters will probably cope fine with a vegeterian night anyway. Wouldn't worry me in the slightest. Not having to cook and eating anything yummy suits me fine!

rainrain1, Dec 27, 4:57am
that is funny.I guess I'm talking fishing when I say troll and trawl mean the same

davidt4, Dec 27, 5:02am
I think we have enough trolls in this forum as it is without inadvertent ones.

sting9, Dec 27, 5:29am
The food lovers recipe looks nice thanks 245sam.It is a toss up between that andthe peanut chicken and rice.I think it will be one of those.Also thanks for correcting my English, regardless of my poor spelling, I have been rewarded with some nice replies!

buzzy110, Dec 27, 5:50am
You do not have to be slaving away in the kitchen while your guests are enjoying themselves alone. Just make them the same meal you would make for yourself and throw in a roast chicken to cook at the same time. You do not need to be in the kitchen while it cooks - just there to take it out, same with your own food.

A lovely chicken recipe is to whizz up some fresh herbs - parsley, basil, thyme, kaffir lime leaves, etc - a small chilli, garlic, butter, salt and pepper and push it between the skin and the meat of the chicken, especially over the breasts, thighs and drums and roast at 180 for about 1½hrs. Put it in an oven bag so it won't 'contaminate' the vegetarian food. You can then use the same cooking time to roast some vegetables - courgettes, kumara, potatoes, capsicum, carrots, beetroot, whole garlic cloves, baby onions, etc, sliced into chunks and rubbed in oil with fresh rosemary. Also you can cook your nut loaf at the same time. Make a sauce you like - maybe tomato - and reheat just before serving. Then all you need to do is cook the steamed or stirfried vegetables you will have prepared before your guests arrive.

It is all very simple and nothing to worry about until the day.

sunshine78, Dec 27, 8:05am
Ughk no one wants to be slaving in the kitchen after Christmas!Poor you. Grab a hot chook from the supermarket and pick it to pieces into a casserole dish. Fry up some onions and some mushrooms quickly.Grab a big giant sized tin of apricots (or two little ones). Pourthis over the chicken etc.bung into oven for half an hour or so.

lyingnun, Dec 27, 8:27am
I think you should give them a vegetarian meal Most meat eaters eat far too much meat and it would be good for them to realise that vegetarian food is just as delicious and nutritious.I would make a nice vegetarian lasagne and serve with salads.
If you really feel the need to provide meat, do as others suggest - just buy a pre cooked chicken or some ham off the bone.