Cannoli filling

karenz, Dec 23, 11:04pm
I have bought some cannoli shells and looking up recipes on the net the one that appears the best is : 3/4 cup each of ricotta and mascpone, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp vanilla, candied peel, pinch of salt.Some of the recipes also had small dark chocolate chips and I have some of those as well.These were mostly Italian/American recipes and it is possible to ricotta there is drier. Anyone tried this recipe or a variation.I have all these ingredients already.

karenz, Dec 23, 11:05pm
Forgot to add there are 24 small shells.

davidt4, Dec 23, 11:23pm
Here's a recipe from Clarissa Hyman's book of Sicilian Food.As you can see it is very simple, and depends on the quality of the ricotta.If you can't make your own fresh ricotta, Zany Zeus is the next best.

For 24 shells

1 kg ricotta
500g caster sugar
50g butter chocolate chips

Mix well.

Note:I like to add 2 tsp orange-flower water, which is often added in Sicily.

karenz, Dec 23, 11:40pm
Thanks, I have already bought perfect italiano ricotta, thought that if I used mascapone or a mascapone/ricotta mix I could cut out or cut down the sugar, rats I was in Moore Wilsons yesterday and saw the organge flower water, though I do have the mixed peel, guess I will experiment with small batches.

davidt4, Dec 24, 12:12am
Try finely grated orange zest.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 5:59am
I have eaten these at La Bella italia in Petone and they definatley have candied peel and the chocolate in them. You can also make your own canoli tubes using cannoli forms.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 6:11am
I have a great book called "Food italia" put out by Tectum and it gives various dishes from regions of Italy. The canoli is listed using ricotta, dark chocolate and candied fruit. The outer form is made from flour, lard, honey, sugar, vinegar and cinnamon.

karenz, Dec 27, 3:17am
I made a filling with mascapone, mixed candied peel, small dark chocolate chips, natural vanilla essence, cinnamon, a small amount of castor sugar and a tablespoon of Sicilian Lemon Curd, it was superb. I don't think I would be talented enough to make the tubes though they sound kind of fiddly. Next time I will try home made ricotta, I have a recipe somewhere for this and have made it before and it is very simple.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 3:24am
Sounds lovely karenz. The cannoli tubes are not difficult to do if you have the metal forms. It is a matter of wraping the pastry around the forms to make them.

karenz, Dec 27, 3:32am
Might try them sometime, these ones were a bit hit with all the family.I can remember an elderly relative of a friend making what she called Sweet Pizza and the filling was a bit similar but not as sweet, wish I could find the recipe for those, they were not unlike a sweet a Hungarian friend of mine's mother used to make when i was a child.

davidt4, Dec 27, 4:55am
A cannoli filling is also very good rolled in very thin crêpes.Do make the ricotta yourself, it is very easy and absolutely delicious.