cookessentials, Dec 20, 3:39am
CINNAMON BRANDY CUSTARD

6 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
500ml milk
300ml cream
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 tbsp brandy

Beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Combine milk, cream and cinnamon stick in large pan;bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, remove cinnamon stick and reserve. Gradually whisk milk mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture to saucepan along with the cinnamon stick. Stir over a low heat, without boiling, until custard coats the back of a spoon. Discard cinnamon stick and stir in brandy. You can make this a couple of days ahead and heatthrough,uncovered,without boiling just before serving.

cookessentials, Dec 20, 11:01pm
I shall add a few more if I get time today

cookessentials, Dec 21, 8:36am
HARD SAUCE
Served over hot Christmas pudding.

250g soft butter
150g soft brown sugar
60mlcream
80ml brandy or whiskey
Beat the butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible; beat in the cream and brandy.
Line an oven tray with plastic wrap, spoon heaped tablespoons of mixture onto prepared tray; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.

cookessentials, Dec 21, 5:55pm
Cointreau Butter

250g butter, softened
165g caster sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
60ml Cointreau

Beat butter with wooden spoon or electric beater until pale and fluffy,
about 10 minutes. Add sugar and continue to beat until all incorporatedand
sugar is almost dissolved. You can use icing sugar if you prefer a completely
smooth butter, although the crunch is appreciated by many. Beat in rind and stir
well to combine. Gradually add Cointreau, beating between additions until well combined. Tip into a serving bowl and refrigerate until required.
Spoon a small amount onto a slice of warm Christmas pudding or a mince
pie.

cookessentials, Dec 21, 6:03pm
THYME GRAVY

1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
125ml white wine
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
500ml chicken stock
salt and pepper

Remove turkey from baking tin.

Place tin over stove on a medium heat; add onion and cook until softened.

Sprinkle flour into tin and stir until flour has lightly browned.

Add wine, thyme and bay leaf and stir for 1 minute, removing any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the tin.

Gradually add stock, stirring constantly until gravy has thickened and is smooth. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, adding a little extra water if necessary to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

Strain and serve with your roast turkey.

rusty-bones, Dec 21, 11:01pm
Yum I love suaces. Do you have a nice Gravy recipe for everyday I can use for meat. Mine never are that great.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 3:58am
I do have one for pan gravy which is on the cooking class 101 thread.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 4:03am
CREAMY CARAMEL SAUCE

165g caster sugar
125ml water
180ml cream
60g butter
2tbsp Kahlua

Combine sugar and water in medium pan;stir over heat,without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Boil,without stirring until dark golden. Carefully add cream to toffee in pan ( it will bubble quite fiercly and mixture will harden) Boil,stirring, until toffee dissolves. Remove from heat, stir in butter and liqueur. Serve warm. Can be stored, covered in fridge a day ahead.

cookessentials, Dec 24, 4:43am
Up for the cinnamon brandy custrad.