Can You buy shrimps that are not from Vietnam

grannymum, Dec 19, 4:10am
Can You buy shrimps that are not from Vietnam or Thailand!If so can someone suggest some good brand names & where to purchase please

uli, Dec 19, 4:14am
I buy the banana prawns from Australia or the Moloolooba (how many "o"'s) ones - which I reckon are the same thing. They are slightly bigger than shrimp once peeled and cooked and much more expensive. They are wild caught and you will find them in Countdowns and New Worlds. Between $22 and $30 per kilo frozen and unpeeled.

davidt4, Dec 19, 5:32am
Do you have a fish market in Hamilton!That would be the first place to look, otherwise, as uli says,Countdown often has loose Australian Banana prawns and sometimes Endeavour prawns.They are very good if they are fresh - look carefully at the heads, which should be the same colour as the rest of the prawn, not grey and certainly not black.I don't know of any pre-packed prawns that are not from Asia or India.

pickles7, Dec 19, 6:06am
No, not the last time I asked. Too many problems with them. So many sizing's as well. We prefered the shrimps over prawns, now we just buy the king prawns.

uli, Dec 19, 6:22am
And beware of Australian Tiger Prawns - they are farmed!

iman007, Dec 19, 6:25am
cant beat a moreton bay bug but!

grannymum, Dec 19, 6:26am
Oh thanks so much everyone that info helps a lot.

kay141, Dec 19, 6:44am
Countdown down here never has them. Must be a delicacy for northerners.

uli, Dec 19, 6:45am
Oh man - send me some :)

uli, Dec 19, 6:47am
Yep we "believe" that every year we get cartons full of them - and if the "belief" of all of us is strong enough they even come on special!

knowsley, Dec 19, 7:12am
Moore Wilson here have boxed Crystal Bay prawns from Australia.

kay141, Dec 19, 7:17am
That's nice,

pickles7, Dec 19, 8:07am
I am believing my son, when he tells me he is going to go diving to catch us some crayfish. Been believing that, a while now though and its not been working.

tahnasha, Dec 19, 8:25pm
What's wrong with that.

tommydog, Dec 19, 10:22pm
Probarly full of parasites and chemicals.

uli, Dec 19, 11:30pm
Farmed prawns are held in poly ponds and fed with "food", which include colourings, flavourings and lots of medications to keep them alive - which is what poster #1 wants to avoid. If you are keen to learn more then google.
Or even ask here - or even more enterprising - use the search function on the left.

gerry64, Dec 20, 1:11am
even look closely at the packets of so called Ozzie frozen cooked prawns - some of them are only packaged over here - read the small print very carefully

uli, Dec 19, 8:54am
bump for the new lot of "banana prawns" now at Countdown and New World -and this week even at our local Pak'nSave @ $22.00 :)