Mystery Box Challenge!

otterhound, Dec 17, 4:36am
I have 20 or so people coming over tomorrow fora ride (horses) and am thinking that they may well bring nibbles or such to share afterwards.I have nothing!Live rural so no shops handy.What I DO have that I'm thinking something could be constructed from (but I have no idea what) is pastry sheets, kilos of parmesan cheese!, tasty cheese, a smallish basil plant, onions, garlic chives, vegemite and the usual pantry staples.Can any of you domestic goddesses possibly tell me what I could make!Need instructions too please, if you don't mind=)I eagerly await your replies!=)

cookessentials, Dec 17, 4:52am
What about a vegetable quiche. What sort of pastry is it!

elliehen, Dec 17, 4:54am
Savoury pinwheels :)

elliehen, Dec 17, 4:56am
fisher's recommendations for variations on mashed potatoes - all suitable for the pinwheels.

fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce.
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley.

rainrain1, Dec 17, 5:09am
Savoury Pinwheel Scones

2 cups self raising flour
2 Tblsp butter
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 pkt dried soup mix (flavour of your choice)
½ cup relish or chutney

Method:
Sift flour into food processor and add soup mix, milk, butter and egg.
Mix until smooth. Work the dough into a ball and knead well. Roll out into a rectangle 30 x 12cm. Spread relish or chutney right over to the edges then roll up tightly. Cut the roll into 12 pieces and place on baking paper on tray, or in greased muffin tins. Bake 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees C.

You would have to double this recipe for 20.

otterhound, Dec 17, 5:49am
Thank you- some brilliant ideas.Problem is I have not one potato in the house until I shop on Monday, but I think the onion tarts sound like me!Really simple, and I think I have all that's required.=)Had a look through some recent threads and there was mention of vegemite (well Marmite actually) and cheese spread on pastry sheets then rolled up, cut and baked.Sounds simple!,

elliehen, Dec 17, 5:58am
Instead of rolling that, I'd turn over an edge all round to make a 'rim' or 'wall' and then sparsely cover the middle and bake.Cut into small squares.

otterhound, Dec 17, 6:01am
Thanks elliehen - easier still!=)

diamond-fan, Dec 17, 6:02am
Mini savouries.

Cut rounds of pastry to fit small patty or muffin tins, ease pastry into tins and refrigerate for 30 mins. Finely chop an onion and cook over medium heat for 3-5mins until golden. Mix a couple of eggs with 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk or cream,grated cheese, chopped chives, S & P add in the onions. Divide the egg mixture evenly between the pastry cases, sprinkle a little more cheese on top, bake for 15 - 20 mins at around 180 until golden. You could add bacon, finely chopped and cooked with the onions, if you have some.

elliehen, Dec 17, 6:06am
Just a PS.you probably know this, but gently wet the perimeter with a finger before you turn over the edge, to make it stick and not bounce back.

otterhound, Dec 17, 6:12am
Diamond-fan - only have 1 egg as well!Bloody bludging chickens haven't really come to the party yet.Elliehen, I wouldn't have thought to do that had you not mentioned it, but it makes perfect sense=)

diamond-fan, Dec 17, 6:14am
Palmiers

Preheat oven to 200 C.

Make up a paste type mixture with your herbs and cheeses, add in some dijon mustard or chutney if you have it or a little olive oil just to make it spreadable.

Spread the paste onto the sheets of pastry. Fold two opposite sides over to meet edge to edge in the centre. Fold once again, then fold in half to give 8 layers of pastry.

Cut into 1cm slices. Lay slices out on oven trays (lined with baking paper) allow room for spreading. Open slices out slightly at the folded end to give a V shape. Bake for 15 mins until golden brown.