Buckwheat

jellijar, Dec 13, 6:03pm
can anyone tell me what buckwheat flour is meant to smell and taste like please!

frances1266, Dec 13, 7:04pm
It is a little like wholemeal flour but it has a slightly more pronounced flavour than wholemeal.It is good in gluten free dishes.

jellijar, Dec 14, 12:04am
i bought some from an indian shop and it tastes and smells like incense.
i'm cutting out wheat all together as i have tummy trouble.

frances1266, Dec 14, 12:17am
Have never noticed an incense taste.Might have been stored next to some incense.Think I would be getting a fresh lot in.You can buy buckwheat pancake mix in a box which is very good.

buzzy110, Dec 14, 3:09am
It definitely does not smell like incense.

whitehead., Dec 14, 4:15am
if they have been burning incense the flour will have taken it on same with butter and a lot of other foods in the shop yuck

jellijar, Dec 14, 5:49pm
i tired baking with it and it tastes terrible and i even aired it out and it still is horrible.

lenart, Dec 15, 12:48am
Buckwheat flour is really lovely when not bought from Indian shop :) For me it tastes better than brown rice or quinoa flour. I use buckwheat flour and whole grains a lot in pancakes, breads, grind my own and really feel for you.Better to buy this flour from organic shops/organic sections in supermarkets and return your flour back to the shop you bought it from. Cheers.

zsazsa777, Dec 19, 10:53am
Buckwheat Flour has got very expensive in Wellington recently. Now between $9 and $12 kg. Does anyone in Wgtn know somewhere cheaper to buy it! City New World used to have it for just over $6, but they never have any in stock when I go there.

cookessentials, Dec 19, 5:57pm
Yeast Free Buckwheat Blinis.taken from Taste Magazine (Sophie Gray)

1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup plain flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
½ cup cultured buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp melted butter
Extra butter, for frying

Topping
1-2 Tbsp finely chopped chives or dill
¾ cup crème fraîche
Smoked salmon shavings or slices

30-plus bite-size blini

Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes

Method

In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking soda, sugar and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the middle and add the buttermilk and egg yolks. Use a whisk to mix the batter, gradually drawing the dry ingredients into the liquids to make a thick, lump-free paste.

In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, then use a metal spoon to fold them into the batter. When all the egg white is incorporated, fold in the melted butter.

Preheat 2 frying pans and melt a small knob of butter in each. When the butter is bubbling, scoop ¾ dessertspoon of batter and use your finger to slide it off the tip of the spoon into the pan. Sliding it off the tip will produce round blini; tipping off the side makes oval blini. Work quickly with batches of about 4 in each pan. When the surface begins to bubble, quickly flip each blini with a palette knife to cook the other side. When both sides are golden and blini are springy to touch, remove to a cooling rack.

To prepare topping, stir herbs into crème fraîche. Spread on blini and top with a sliver of smoked salmon.

Cook's tips

- To make a selection of each blini, divide the basic mixture into 2 or 3 portions and flavour each portion separately. Remember to reduce the proportions of the flavourings.

- Toppings and bases can be mixed and matched and cream cheese is optional. Add a herb garnish if liked.

zsazsa777, Dec 20, 6:30am
Buckwheat Flour has got very expensive in Wellington recently. Now between $9 and $12 kg. Does anyone in Wgtn know somewhere cheaper to buy it! City New World used to have it for just over $6, but they never have any in stock when I go there. Still hope someone in Wgtn can help.

roshu, Dec 20, 8:52am
Throw it out jellijar. Get some at the supermarket in the 'health foods' section, and it's likely to be fresher. I mix four different flours together to make my GF bread and buckwheat is one of them. Actually buckwheat is a dried berry rather than a grain.