Well dont think I will bother again

samsnan, Dec 11, 2:27am
cooking corned beef in the crockpot. This is the 3rd time I have tried it and still it comes out like a cooked sausage. Just to soft to even try and slice. So I think I will go back to the saucepan. A good sized chunk it was put it on frozen at 9.30 yesterday turned it off at 6. It tasted ok.

marcs, Dec 11, 2:52am
I don't like cooking corned beef in the slow cooker. It doesn't have texture left to the meat and I hate it. Yeah unsure how to describe it but it becomes too soft. yuk.

a_n_h, Dec 11, 3:27am
I always cook my corned beef in the crock pot & I have no issues slicing it or anything. I dont cook it from frozen though

lodgelocum, Dec 11, 3:40am
Me too, always use crock pot for corned beef, usually cook a decent size for 6-7 hrs maybe, no problem slicing, texture etc, so much nicer than in a pot (I think anyway) lol.

seniorbones, Dec 11, 4:25am
I would never cook meat from frozen and wouldnt cook corned beef any other way but the crockpot, is always lovely and doesnt come out like sausage meat, try thawing first then cook onlow.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 11, 4:53am
Agree with Seniorbones. Didn't think it was a good idea to cook from frozen.

samsnan, Dec 11, 5:03am
I dont usually cook any meat from frozen but I knew we wouldnt be home in time to do it on the stove. The last 2 times I tried it thawed and still no joy. Perhaps next time I wont cook it for as long and yes there probably will be a next time. Other meat like casserole comes out perfectly.

lindablythe, Dec 11, 5:11am
Here is a recipe that was given to me by an old couple and it works everytime.
Get a fresh piece of silver side not froze. Put your piece of silverside in the crockpot and fill it up with ginger beer.put it in a slow cook for at least 6 hours (depending on size of meat) and bingo you will have a beautiful tender piece of meat that is Yummy. it's never failed me yet!

nfh1, Dec 11, 5:13am
No me neither, it must take ages to get up to a proper temperature to cook.

chooky, Dec 11, 5:23am
I have always cooked my corn beef in the crock pot, not frozen and comes out yummy everytime.I just cook it with a bit of water and whole peper corns and thats it. I do cook my mince from frozen in the crock pot and thats always yummy too.

drofla.aviaries, Dec 11, 5:55am
I always do mine in the crockpot and love it. I did pork silverside (which i'd never tried before) in there 2 weeks ago and that was beautiful. It's on special again at New World this week so i'll be getting some more.

auburn4, Dec 11, 10:07am
I've cooked corned beef in the crockpot and the pot on the stove. The stove method is by far my favourite and great tasting results. The best ever I've done is in the Le Creuset on the top of the free standing fire in winter.

kernal1, Dec 12, 5:31am
I cook cornbeef in the Microwave. Unfrozen takes about 45mins and result is less shrinkage, maybe a little saltier but is more like a cross between ham and Silverside in texture.

schnauzer11, Dec 12, 11:55am
This is where the pressure-cooker rocks!Sit the meat on the trivet,above shallow water+vinegar.Dribble golden syrup over the meat.Cook about 45 minutes.All flavour remains in the meat,which is so tender.

sclaredy_cat, Dec 13, 12:20am
I've always cooked corned beef (and most other types of meat) from frozen in the crockpot, none of us have ever got sick from it. I'm never organized to get anything out the night before ;)

poppy62, Dec 13, 5:42am
Will only ever cook corned beef in the crock pot with a spoon of maple syrup or golden syrup - always very very nice.

wizardoo, Dec 13, 6:26pm
Will only ever cook corned beef in the crock pot,With a tablespoon of brown sugar and a dash of vinger and I pop in whole onions and carrot 1/2,I also add the spuds as this draws the salt from the beef.Have done it this way for 28 years.

uli, Dec 13, 6:08am
bump for another year of crockpotting!

bindyloo, Dec 14, 1:14am
Even before I bought myself a crockpot, (slow cooker) I always and still do cook my corned beef in the oven, in a covered pyrex dish, just covered with water, splash ofvinegar, desertspoon golden syrup, and a couple of bay leaves. Cooked on 90 c for approx 7 hrs.Just falls to pieces.

valentino, Dec 17, 4:45am
Hmmm, interesting this doing the rounds again but.

Try cooking the silverside or piece of Corned Beef, depending how one calls it by Dry Cooking slowly wether in an oven or a slow cooker.

One does not need all that moisture at all but merely to decrease the amount of salty tastes. Best to wash or rinse thoroughly in fresh cold water first then slow cook it.

Very similar to most other Beef cuts.

Hellabys bring out a piece of beef done in a peppered and garlic mainade, this is lovely when cooked very slowly then allow to cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate for at least overnight to a day plus, to serve as a very nice "melt in the mouth type" thinly sliced on a serving tray to go with salads etc. or even for sandwiches or for a picnic basket. It is very nice for something that is already prepared from a butcher or supermarket.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 17, 6:04am
And a very nice hint.

Try doing a glaze on the corned beef or silverside just like a ham but with a syrupy mixture of brown sugar, bit of vinegar and some nice runny honey.

Why boil or simmer it when one can use these ingredients to it's fullest.

Hopes this makes sense.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 17, 6:04am
And a very nice hint.

Try doing a glaze on the corned beef or silverside just like a ham but with a syrupy mixture of brown sugar, bit of vinegar and some nice runny honey.

Why boil or simmer it when one can use these ingredients to it's fullest.

Even a nice Honey Mustard Rub would go well also.

Hopes this makes sense.

Cheers

ange164, Dec 17, 7:52am
I think it's the Way they corn the beef. I have recently had some corned beef come out as you describe from the crock pot - exceptionally soft. But I've also had some come out well from exactly the same method, similar size piece, the difference being that the "good" one was bought at a local small butchery that brines it properly, and the soft one was a hellaby's supermarket one that (I assume) was done injection of the brine style and had a HEAP of liquid within it.

ETA Doh! I see the date discrepancies now - this is a last years one.