Lemonchello

joskiwi, Nov 28, 11:38pm
Can I use this in the xmas trifle tosoak/moisten the sponge !

wheelz, Nov 28, 11:40pm
sounds good !

joskiwi, Nov 28, 11:43pm
I thought it might be nice fora changeI wont do the Jelly thing tho lol

beaker59, Nov 28, 11:45pm
mmmmmmm sounds very nice, good idea may try that myself.

griffo4, Nov 29, 2:13am
Yes it is very nice for trifle l made one last year

campmother2002, Dec 1, 8:05am
Yes, you can.Simon Holst made a Raspberry Tiramasu the other morning and the recipe said Lemonchello or Sherry which was added to a sugar, water lemon zest mixture and you dipped Sponge Fingers in it, so would be fine for a Trifle.

campmother2002, Dec 1, 8:20am
I Priced a bottle of Lemonchello and it's nearly $40.00 a bottle so will use Sherry!

jag5, Dec 1, 8:57am
Make your own Lemoncello.heaps of recipes out there.some easy some not so easy.use the search bar on the left of your screen.

beaker59, Dec 1, 8:02pm
Exactly its very easy and relatively cheap though I would say that making it between now and xmass might be an issue as it takes at least a month.

bill241, Dec 2, 6:50am
My aunty made her own limoncello one year, it was delicious. I don't think it was terribly complex either

davidt4, Dec 2, 8:16am
If you spell it correctly: Limoncello - you might have more success in finding information.

In Italy it is made by householders all over the place, and the quality is dependent on the quality and ripeness of the lemons.The starting point is fresh good quality lemons, ideally Lisbon, Villa Franca or Eureka.Don't use Meyer lemons because the flavour is wrong.

I've been in an Italian household when several neighbours came along with their own Limoncello, and we all had to say which we thought was best.It required a great deal of tact.

korbo, Dec 2, 8:51am
love it, there is a company somewhere in NZ that sells it, and they have one to put over icecream.icecream never tasted so yummmmmmy

elliehen, Dec 2, 9:06am
.not if you're Googling.Google really IS your friend and however you spell it, within reason, converts it into a search for the real thing.

I tested my friend Google and put in lemonchello. Google responded with this:

"Showing results for limoncello
Search instead for lemonchello"

Google even fixed upLemoncello andLemon Cello.

griffo4, Dec 2, 11:43pm
lt is made in Kerikeri and they have one made with cream as well which is soo nice and you can store them in the freezer so you always have it cool and ready to drink

mwood, Dec 3, 1:22am
I would not use Limoncello to moisten a sponge for xmas trifle as it will give the wrong accent - lemon - instead you could try Arancello (orange) which will taste closer to the original dry sherry. You can make your own using a home made base spirit for around $1 a litre.

korbo, Dec 3, 2:45am
GRIFF, thats the one. do you have an address or website.

davidt4, Dec 3, 3:37am

griffo4, Dec 3, 7:39am
Thats the one davidt4 and it is a very nice one especially the cream one
l am going to get some more soon as mine seems to have evaporated in the freezer,lol

karenz, Dec 4, 12:06am
Found this limoncello recipe that doesn't take too long, 48 hours to mature. Makes 1 x 700m bottle.
375g (4) lemons (washed, peel on, chopped into large chunks)
420g (2 cups) castor sugar
rind of 1 lemon
350ml vodka
375m (1 1/2 cups) water
Place lemons and sugar into a large bowl and bruise the fruit to extract some of the lemon oil by squashing with the handle of a rolling pin (or a muddler)
Add rind, vodka and water to the bowl.Stir to dissolve sugar, if it doesn't easily dissolve leave for an hour then stir again.
Cover with plastic wrap, leave in cool place and allow to infuse for 48 hours.
Strainliquid through a sieve and, discard lemons.Pour through a funnell into empty bottles to store.Store in fridge or pour into plastic bottles and store in freezer.
Serve well chilled from refrigerator or from the freezer.

edens_house, Dec 5, 10:35pm
I have read the the web site for the limoncello, the one from Kerikeri and they did have some excellent recipies for cooking with, but was just wondering if anybody had any other good ideas/recipies for a cheesecake or some other dessert recipie!

griffo4, Dec 6, 12:30am
There was some recipes put up earlier in the year or last year l have one l will hunt out and post it was from cooksessentials

griffo4, Dec 6, 12:33am
Here is one recipe l made last year and it was very nice

LIMONCELLO TRIFLE
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
100ml limoncello
300g blueberries
1/2 tsp arrowroot
5 eggs, separated
250g mascarpone
1/3 cup (4 tbs) lemon curd
1 Madeira cake, cut into 2cm-thick slices
Whipped cream, to serve
1 tbs toasted flaked almonds, to serve
Place 100g of the caster sugar in a saucepan with 300ml of water and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 cup (80ml) of the sugar syrup and place in a bowl with the limoncello, stirring to combine. Set aside. Add the blueberries to the remaining sugar syrup and cook for about 2 minutes over low heat or just until they begin to release some of their juice.
combine the arrowroot with 2 tablespoons of cold water and stir until smooth. Add to the blueberries and cook, stirring, for a further minute until thickened. Set aside and allow to cool.
Place egg yolks and remaining 120g caster sugar a bowl and beat until pale and thick.
Beat in mascarpone and lemon curd.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold them into the mascarpone and lemon curd mixture. Place a layer of pandoro or madeira sponge cake slices in a 1.5-litre glass serving dish, brush with some of the limoncello syrup, then spread with one third of the mascarpone mixture. Drizzle with one third of the blueberries and their syrup.
Repeat the layers, then top with a final layer of cake. Brush with the syrup and top with the remaining mascarpone (reserving the remaining berries for garnish). Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving the trifle, top with whipped cream, scatter over the reserved blueberries and sprinkle with flaked almonds.

edens_house, Dec 6, 9:54am
AWSOME thanks, looks like just what I was looking for