NZ equivalent of a pike!

mazzy1, Nov 26, 11:51pm
I feel the need to smoke a fish and found a recipe that calls for Pike with Beetroot salad - yum! What could I use instead! The Alexandra supermarket usually only has a limited selection of fresh fish!

lythande1, Nov 27, 12:29am
Trout

mazzy1, Nov 27, 12:41am
oh ok. thanks for that. I can't say I've seen any fresh trout there lately. Might have to go and catch my own.

sarahb5, Nov 28, 2:47am
I bought a whole small salmon at Countdown yesterday - $12.95 - that could work.You can't buy trout in this country .

beaker59, Nov 28, 10:17am
closest fish we would have in NZ would be a red perch. You won't be able to buy one I am guessing, try a nice sea fish of some sort.

ferita, Nov 28, 8:00pm
try a kahawai

sarahb5, Nov 28, 8:16pm
Pike are freshwater fish .

beaker59, Nov 28, 10:16pm
So is red perch but like I said good luck buying one, pike definately isn't pink fleshed like salmon, our only common 'fresh water' fish. most similar fish in your local store would be salt water like Kahawai as said above.

sarahb5, Nov 28, 10:27pm
I was thinking more of the texture and flavour (although never seen pike for sale or cooked to be honest) rather than the colour of the flesh .

davidt4, Nov 28, 11:22pm
Pike is white-fleshed, mild in flavour, bony and fibrous.It's not regarded very highly in Europe and I wouldn't bother trying to find something similar but instead would use a white-fleshed ocean fish like snapper or terakihi.Monkfish would come close to the texture of pike, but I've never smoked it because I don't like that texture much.

beaker59, Nov 28, 11:50pm
Have you eaten Pike! I have caught them in germany though only catch and release where we were fishing. I actually thought it a bit overrated as a game fish.

sarahb5, Nov 28, 11:57pm
It doesn't sound very appealing at all does it!

davidt4, Nov 29, 12:11am
I've had Pike in soup in Germany.It certainly wasn't appealing - fibrous and tasteless.I think it is highly regarded as a game fish because it puts up a good fight, not because anyone wants to eat it.

I can vaguely recall seeing Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on an early River Cottage program cooking a locally caught pike and, to everyone;'s surprise, making it edible.