Dishwashers, your opinion appreciated - which one!

graebalz, Nov 5, 7:08am
Hi there - our dishwasher has died and we are about to replace it, there are so many out there it's hard to choose, can you let us know your thoughts on your dishwasher, especially if it is newish.I know it comes down to price, which will play a part but at this stage, we are looking for quality so I can be flexible with price.Look forward to hearing from you.

elliehen, Nov 5, 7:24am
Bosch.6 months old.Replaced a geriatric Westinghouse.

The Bosch is whisper quiet, very efficient and does a super clean set to just a half-hour wash if I rinse things first (although there are other settings).

trademe32, Nov 5, 7:34am
Tips from experience would be:Look at how noisy the one you look at is when it is running (i.e. do you want to be able to have it running and watch TV in the next room at the same time!) and how practical the layout inside is.I can fit a fair amount in mine but some things really annoy me. For example If I put large plates in a certain place then the soap tray doesn't open properly and I end up with a hard lump of soap at the end!Also, can you move the baskets and racks around to allow for different shap items (square plates rather than round, pots, bowels, etc) and how much slope is on where the cups go! Mine collect water on top of them.It's the simple little things that will annoy you and more but often cost just that little extra to avoid.

jessie981, Nov 5, 7:37am
Had Dishlex 8 years, no problems. Plenty of space between racks etc. Good drying cycle.

donna_jo29, Nov 5, 7:43am
we have a dishdrawer about 3-5yrs old, but, when you eat it still has soap wash on the dishes. and you cant put cups up on the cup shelves as there is no top washer thingey, we have to use it as our kitchens too small to get the bigger dishwashers.

uli, Nov 5, 7:52am
I have a single dish drawer since 4 years and love it!

Easy to load (but only suitable for a small family), easy to unload (I am told some people have a double one and use it for storage - fill one with dirty dishes, get the clean ones out of the other one .)

Never had any problems with it - use organic cleaner only and never have problems with dirty or soapy dishes. Everything comes out perfectly clean.

nfh1, Nov 5, 8:05am
Had a Bosch in the UK - fabulous machine.Have a Simpson now, have to rinse everything before you put it in, cannot wait for it to go wrong or the rubbishy Simpson washer I bought as well!I suppose they will last forever.

skippie1, Nov 5, 9:11am
Bosch, love it, and very quiet.

lyl_guy, Nov 5, 9:47am
We have a ten yr old Westinghouse Virtuoso, still going strong!But we have a separate kitchen where noise isn't an issue. it's noisier than others I've heard.Next time I think it'll be a quiet Bosch that we buy, I just hope it's as reliable as the Westinghouse has been.

davidt4, Nov 5, 10:44am
Our Bosch is the best dishwasher we've had, by a long way.

farwest, Nov 5, 6:51pm
I'd go with Bosch, too.

gardie, Nov 5, 6:53pm
My double Dishdrawer is the best I've ever had - would never ever go back to a normal dishwasher ever again.You can fit so much in it - I stack bigger bowls on top of plates and everything comes out clean.Had it for over 5 years now.I even installed it myself - was so easy.Even if I have one washing/drying, there is always somewhere to put the dirty dishes.Its great.

lynja, Nov 5, 6:56pm
fisher and Paykel double dish drawer for me, love having two drawers, we rince everything and do the 53min cycle, very quiet, had it 5 years now without any problems at all.

farwest, Nov 5, 7:00pm
Asko, bosch and miele came out top in the 2010 consumer survey of reliability.
F&p and sinpson were average
Ariston, electrolux, samsung, westinghouse and whirlpool were worst.

lythande1, Nov 5, 7:20pm
I always look up models I'm interested in and read user reviews - everything else will tell you features but only user reviews tell you reliability.

ruby19, Nov 5, 9:22pm
We have had our dish drawers for 10 yrs. I would replace them with the same again, when they give up.

jhan, Nov 5, 11:36pm
I have a dish drawer and if i had a bigger kitchen I'd put two in, but not the double one, just two single drawers because it's often not quite big enough when having guests over. Otherwise, for just three of us, its ample.

mrskathy, Nov 6, 3:55am
Bosch is fantastic,replaced a 2 year old Westinghouse that was forever being repaired.

kinna54, Nov 6, 3:56am
Ditto.

buzzy110, Nov 6, 4:50am
Check out the mechanics of it. I cannot recall immediately but there are two types of mechanical devices that run them. One is the noisy one which sounds like a jet plane taking off in your kitchen for the entire wash and rinse cycle and the other one is some sort of integrated whizz bang thingy that is so quiet you can hear the neighbour taking a pee. Machines with the second gadget in them are what you should be looking for.

Don't forget, some shops are good at doing deals. We just bought two Whirlpool dishwashers and with the money we saved we could have purchased a third, top of the range model.

sands39, Nov 6, 4:58am
Another vote for Bosch. I never pre-rinse and every thing comes out perfectly clean.