Fleur Sullivan of Moeraki

elliehen, Aug 11, 1:43am
For anyone near Nat Rad this afternoon, Fleur Sullivan is on just after 3pm and will talk (among other things) about her recipe for Pease Pudding.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/genre/recipes/pease-pudding

rainrain1, Aug 11, 9:26pm
I stopped there once a number of years ago and bought a great recipe book compiled of all local recipes, that was long before Fleur took over, sadly I have lost that book.would kill for it now

gilligee, Aug 11, 9:35pm
What do you mean 'when Fleur took over'! She set up each of her three restuantes.

rainrain1, Aug 12, 5:40am
moved to Moeraki .

elsielaurie1, Aug 12, 9:44am
No - not that 'Jim Sullivan'.Fluer's Jim was an Oamaru boy.my sister is married to his brother.

mandi, Aug 13, 9:12am
Just for information, the Loan and Merc in Oamaru is 'closed for a couple of months' at the moment (as far as I know!) not sure when it's re-opening.I apologise in advance if this info is wrong!I can see the Loan and Merc from where I live and it's not been open for a while.Hopefully it will be open again soon when the tourist season starts up.

elliehen, Nov 5, 9:39pm
Fleur Sullivan was interviewed by Chris Laidlaw on National Radio this morning.Cooks nationwide will be interested in her biography.
Fleur The Life and Times of Pioneering Restaurateur Fleur Sullivan
McLean, Aaron
$49.99
ISBN: 9781869795528
Binding: Paperback

Fleur Sullivan is a South Island legend, the culinary maven responsible for not one but two iconic local restaurants - Olivers in Clyde and the eponymous Fleurs Place in Moeraki - and now at the age of 72 she's running a third, The Loan and Merc in her hometown of Oamaru. Her eventful career has spanned more than 40 years, during which time she's transformed two sleepy towns into international destinations. Fleur is brimming with great stories, anecdotes, reminiscences, the conversations had round her table and friendships formed in her establishments. This memoir chronicles her early life cooking in a pub on the West Coast, through to setting up Dunstan House in Clyde and on to the heady days of the restaurant scene in the 1970s in Queenstown. Drawing on this range of influences, Fleur then returned to Clyde and embarked on the 20-year journey that was Olivers, using local produce and products at a time when no one else was doing so. From there she went to Moeraki and opened her world-renowned fish restaurant Fleur's Place. Everything Fleur does is touched by her warmth, vision and enthusiams, making her places the place to be.
IIlustrated with new photography by Aaron McLean, plus Fleur's own photographs and ephemera.

Author: McLean, Aaron
Publication date: 04/11/2011

bedazzledjewels, Nov 5, 10:58pm
Thanks for this Ellie. I enjoyed a special birthday at her Moeraki restaurant.

jbsouthland, Nov 5, 11:47pm
Great pressie for mum for Xmas.

iriegirl, Nov 6, 1:18am
This will be a great read about an extraordinary woman. I will be buying it for a dear friend who is now based in Western Australia, who was born and raised in Clyde, and with whom I spent many a great time at Olivers. We got to enjoy fantastic food that I was lucky enough to eat on a regular basis, and Fleur was sadly missed when she left Clyde. Now my visits to Fleurs are not as frequent as I like, butalways try to squueze in a meal on visits South. Anyone who has eaten at Moeraki will know why!

elliehen, Nov 6, 4:32am

indy95, Nov 6, 4:36am
I enjoyed the interview this morning and the book should be a very interesting read.

elliehen, Nov 6, 6:23am
I'm looking forward to it too.I hadn't realised until the interview that her husband (before they parted ways early on) was Jim Sullivan.Presumably that's the Jim Sullivan of RadioNZ's 'Sounds Historical'.

fifie, Nov 6, 6:39am
Olivers and moeraki are absolutely wonderfulplaces to dine, didn't realise she is opening up in my old home town will have to pay her a visit there to, wonder if its in the old historic bulidings area. Shes a legend and a extraordinary woman.

245sam, Nov 6, 6:47am
fifie, I presume that you are referring to Fleur's Oamaru restaurant which is housed in the former Loan & Mercantile building, hence it bears the name The Loan & Merc Tavern & Eating House and yes, it is in the historic building area.Have a look at:-

http://www.loanandmerc.co.nz/
We had a lovely meal there at the end of September.:-))

fifie, Nov 6, 8:01pm
DUH 245sam if i'd read the post correctly would have seen that lol, will have to try and get there in the new year,thanks for the link.

popsykl, Nov 6, 8:31pm
hubby and i are going to have dinner there

245sam, Nov 14, 8:14pm
Fleur is to be on Good Morning around 11 a.m. today - I missed seeing the exact time when she will be on but for anyone who wants her recipes they can be found at:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/lamb-shoulder-and-bean-hot-pot-4521575 and
http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/tarragon-chicken-and-mussel-fricassee-4521588