Locquats-what do you do with them!

Page 1 / 2
whanga-cowgirl, Nov 1, 6:03pm
I have a locquat tree-laden with fruit but what do you do with them!

accroul, Nov 1, 6:51pm
I've eaten them fresh& made jam with them. Either way, remove the seeds.

cookessentials, Nov 1, 8:46pm
Yum.brings back memories as a kid, standing beneath huge loquat trees, devouring the beautiful fruit. Have not had them for years.

antoniab, Nov 1, 9:16pm
Yum - just eat fresh off the tree, they dont keep well

samsnan, Nov 2, 2:26am
They make beautiful jelly.

hoonguek, Nov 2, 2:57am
very good for sore throat! eat fresh.

crystalmoon, Nov 2, 3:13am
yummmmmm havnt had these since we were kids,fresh are beautifull.

juli55, Nov 2, 10:38am
Loquat Jelly with Pectin 2
Wash loquats and remove seeds.
Place in saucepan and add enough water to barely cover fruit. Cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes.
Strain through jelly bag or four layers of cheese cloth. (For greater yield of juice, twist the two ends of the bag in opposite direction until most of the juice is extracted. Then, strain through clean cheese cloth or jelly bag, but do not squeeze or press.)
Add the pectin to the juice and stir well. Let the mixture come to a rolling boil stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Add sugar and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
Use three cups juice to two cups sugar (this makes a tart jelly). Skim and pour boiling hot into jelly glasses, cool a sample of the jelly to insure that it will harden. If not, an additional box of pectin may have to be added and the jelly boiled again. Seal and when jars are cold, test for seal.

juli55, Nov 2, 10:39am
Loquat Jelly With Pectin 1
2.5 Kg ripe loquats
1 cup water
½ cup lemon juice
1 package pectin
5½ cups sugar
Gather loquats when full size, but still hard and only partially turned in color. Wash, remove seeds, and blossom ends.
Barely cover with cold water. Simmer covered for 15 minutes Cook slowly until pulp is very soft.
Strain juice through jelly bag. Measure 3½ cups loquat juice and lemon juice in a large pan. if more juice is needed, fill last cup or fraction of a cup with water. Add pectin.
Stir well. Place over high heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
Add the sugar and mix well. Continue stirring and bring to full rolling boil. Boil exactly 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let boiling subside.
Skim carefully. Pour into hot sterilized jelly glasses, leaving 1 cm space at top to cover at once with melted paraffin. (Or pour into hot sterilized jars and seal with sterilized lids.)

them into the pickling syrup given below and cook until tender.
Remove the fruit. Pour remaining syrup into sterilzed jars. Fill almost to overflowing with the hot syrup and seal at once.
Pickling Syrup
3 cups sugar
1½ cups water
1½ cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon whole allspice
2-inch stick of cinnamon
Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in a large pan. Tie the spices loosely in cheesecloth and add. Boil 10 minutes. Put in fruit and cook gently until tender. This syrup may be used for apricots, peaches, pears, apples, crab apples, plums, loquats, and kumquats.

Loquat Sauce for Ice Cream
2 cups juice from blanched loquat
2 cups sugar. (see Blanching)
Bring to boil, cook over medium heat until syrup spins a 4 cm thread when dropped from a spoon (110°C on candy thermometer), about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
Add 2 cups peeled, halved, seeded loquats. Chill, then serve over ice cream. Makes about 3 cups sauce.

juli55, Nov 2, 10:41am
Spiced Loquats
For 1.5Kg of sweet pickles,
Wash 1.36 Kg of firm loquats and remove the stem and blossom ends; do not peel them.
Drop Blanching Loquats
To peel loquats for sauce and fruit cup, blanch by pouring boiling water over loquats to cover.
Add ¼ cup lemon juice to each litre of water.
Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, just until skin loosens. Drain and reserve liquid. Cool, peel, halve, and seed loquats (remove seeds).

WARNING!
Do not eat, chew, or swallow the seeds.
The loquat seed is highly toxic.
Remove the fleshly fruit from the seed before eating or cooking.

Loquat Jam
2.5Kg loquats
Wash, remove seeds, and blossom ends from whole ripe fruit.
Chop in food chopper and measure pulp. Barely cover with cold water. Cook until tender and deep red.
Add ¾ cup sugar to 1 cup of loquat pulp.
Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal with sterilized lids. It is best to cook small batches of no more than 5 cups of fruit pulp in one pan.

Loquat Jelly
No Added Pectin
Gather loquats when full size, but still hard and only partially turned in color. Wash, remove seeds, and blossom ends.
Barely cover with cold water. Cook slowly until pulp is very soft. Strain through jelly bag. Drain and cook until juice is thick and cheery colored, then add an equal amount of sugar.
Boil rapidly to jelly stage. Pour into sterilized jelly glasses, leaving 1cm space at top to cover at once with melted paraffin. (Or pour into hot sterilized jars and seal with sterilized lids.)

uli, Nov 3, 4:23am
So what is the recipe for your Spiced Loquats!

"For 1.5Kg of sweet pickles, Wash 1.36 Kg of firm loquats and remove the stem and blossom ends; do not peel them."

And then!

buzzy110, Nov 3, 4:34am
Sort of looks like copy and paste strikes again. Anyone who wants to spend all day blanching and removing the peel, seeds and blossom end from bucket loads of loquats needs their heads read imo. That comes from me, a rabid, cook from scratch sort of person who tried it last year and gave up based on the premise that life is just too short.

Just eat them and leave what you cannot eat for the birds. Enjoy this seasonal fruit as Mother Nature delivers it. They'll come around again next year.

uli, Nov 3, 6:20am
Yep I tend to agree there buzzy110 - but then there are so many here - and all the "good ones" - meaning they are about ten times the size of the "normal" ones . so it would be worthwhile to peel and "gut" if I had a good recipe :)

juli55, Nov 3, 9:07am
uli:Somehow I managed to miss the rest of the spiced Loquats Recipe.
I have tried Loquat jam, they go PINK and use a heap of sugar, making them too sweet for my taste.

nzl99, Nov 3, 7:07pm
Had my very first loquat yesterday. YUM! :-)

jag5, Nov 3, 7:12pm
Make Jelly.I do not peel or deseed first.just cover fruit with water and boil then strain.smells very almondy while cooking, but does not impart almond taste to jelly.

Daughter has a tree with a good crop on so have first dibs - haven't made jelly for years as we left our tree behind when we moved years ago.looking forward to having some jelly again.

buzzy110, Nov 3, 9:20pm
Oh god. Don't do that. The almondy smell is a definite sign of ARSENIC. I cannot say for certain that it is arsenic, however, I'd err on the side of caution.

Also there is this warning in post #10, which is an obvious copy and paste from the internet:

"WARNING!
Do not eat, chew, or swallow the seeds.
The loquat seed is highly toxic.
Remove the fleshly fruit from the seed before eating or cooking. "

davidt4, Nov 3, 9:28pm
Cyanide, not arsenic.

sconz1, Nov 3, 9:53pm
What do they taste like!

buzzy110, Nov 3, 9:56pm
Quite. My mistake and you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

People, in case you are unaware of this fact, CYANIDE IS NOT HEALTHY.

buzzy110, Nov 3, 9:57pm
They have their own unique taste, tart when not quite at their peak of ripeness but very sweet and very juicy when they are at their peak of ripeness. Totally delicious.

whanga-cowgirl, Nov 3, 10:29pm
Thanks people for all these ideas althoug a bit worried about the cyanide or arsenic bit-will treat the stones with GREAT respect!

kuaka, Nov 3, 10:40pm
Hubby always reckons they would make good wine, but I've never tried to do so.

jag5, Nov 3, 10:56pm
Cyanide!.have eaten jars of the stuff with no ill effects what so ever.

juli55, Nov 4, 1:39am
Jag5:The FRUIT is OK, the seeds are NOT.