Does anyone save

rainrain1, Nov 11, 5:44am
the water after you have cooked crayfish! Is it any good for making soup or fish pie or.!

margyr, Nov 11, 5:50am
probably could make a good fish stock thing with it, boil it back up the next day with the crayfish shells etc, this has a name but I can't think of it, once all boiled up you strain it of course to use as a stock.

rainrain1, Nov 11, 6:01am
You would have to have other stock with it though would you not, to get a better flavour!Love your profile pic margyr :-)

uli, Nov 11, 6:08am
No - but I save the hot water left over after making tea - I freeze it for the next time I want to make tea.

margyr, Nov 11, 5:00pm
if you google making fish stock with crayfish shells etc, there are quite a few recipes, I had a quick look at one and it did use water so I suppose you could use the water that you cooked the crayfish in.

rainrain1, Nov 11, 6:52pm
somehow that figures

terachaos, Nov 11, 7:09pm
Lobster/crayfish bisque.yum!

terachaos, Nov 11, 7:28pm

rainrain1, Nov 11, 8:00pm
Sounds wonderful!lol

jan2242, Nov 11, 8:26pm
Yes I save it, also boil up the shell and keep that too for stock.

buzzy110, Nov 12, 12:32am
I have used the crayfish water before in sauces and have strained it and saved it (frozen) to add to fish soup/bisque. Unlike a lot of people, I do not cook my crayfish in a full pot of water, so I only get a small amount of cooking water and the flavour of it is very intense.

And as a matter of general interest, the shells can also be used to make the most amazing crayfish bisque ever. You will need the shells from about 10 crayfish and I have only a vague idea how to process the shells. A French chef asked me to save my shells. One day he turned up, took them away and invited us to a feast that night at which he served this special bisque. Apparently it is quite a delicacy in France and actually tastes more 'crayfishy' than the actual meat. Nom nom nom.