Toothfish

rainrain1, Oct 6, 4:34am
I have been given some to try.Does anyone know how I should cook it thanks, I have been told it is oily

davidt4, Oct 6, 5:08am
There is the Patagonian Toothfish (also called Chilean Sea Bass) and the Antarctic Toothfish; as far as I know they are quite different,but they are both endangered.I've never cooked either but I suggest you find out which kind yours is before going any further.

rainrain1, Oct 6, 5:13am
Chilean, does that make a difference to the cooking of it!

davidt4, Oct 6, 5:19am
It's described as moderately oily, and grilling is recommended.

iriegirl, Oct 6, 5:30am
I have pan fried when cooking, lucky you it is a delicacy and delicious!

rainrain1, Oct 6, 6:06am
thankyou I will save it for later to enjoy as I am all fished out at the moment how bad is that now

kuaka, Oct 6, 8:13am
What do you mean "save it for later"!If it's an oil fish, I doubt it will freeze well, or indeed keep well for long in the fridge.

beaker59, Oct 6, 12:18pm
Nice looking dish Shop a holic.

Sauces please!

rainrain1, Oct 6, 8:05pm
Yea!

rainrain1, Oct 6, 8:12pm
Already frozen yes. It was given to me by a family member who has just come back from fishing the Ross Sea.We correspond while he is over there and he has some interesting tales to tell.This is the first time he given me some Toothfish so needed to know how to treat it

rainrain1, Oct 6, 8:19pm
It was so cold this time the fish were freezing before they got them into the hold, and they are quite an enormous fish.He said they had never struck it that cold before

shop-a-holic, Oct 6, 10:30pm
Hi there!
Toothfish live in deepest darkest waters, and have a very high fat count in their flesh. The part used in my dish were their cheeks. I know! Gorgeous, massive, chubby cheeks.
You may have part of the fillet.

shop-a-holic, Oct 6, 10:46pm
Serving Suggestion (see pics above)
Homemade tartare sauce served in baby Paua shells; Salsa Verdi (recipe below) and microgreens.

Salsa Verde – blend all together
½ cup mint
90 ml olive oil
¼ cup basil
2 anchovies
½ cup parsley (I only use Italian or flat-leaf Parsley)
1 clove garlic
15 ml red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons capers

shop-a-holic, Oct 6, 10:50pm
Another Serving Suggestion: Pieces of Patagonian toothfish
2 zucchini, cut into ribbons
50 g butter
¼ cup chopped parsley
400 g pumpkin gnocchi (see recipe below)
¼ cup salsa verde (see recipe above)
150 g feta

Methos:

1. Season toothfish and place in hot pan with oil, turn after 2 mins and bake in 180 C oven for 8-10 mins depending on size.
2. Saute gnocchi with a little butter add parsley, zucchinni and last before serving fold through salsa verde and feta which will slightly melt to form a sauce.
3. Arrange on plate with toothfish placed onto gnocchi with plenty of parsley and a wedge of lemon.

rainrain1, Oct 6, 11:18pm
you are the bomb.thankyou very much