What to do with Kahlua - apart from drinking it!

Page 1 / 2
mattdylan, Sep 7, 11:41pm
I have a bottle I would like to use up, has anyone had much success baking or cooking with it! any ideas of what i could do !

cgvl, Sep 7, 11:45pm
use it to soak sponge for trifle or tiramasu. There is another recipe also that soaks gingernuts in alcohol and you make a log but I don't have the recipe.
Can add to cream when you whip it.

245sam, Sep 8, 12:45am
mattdylan, below is a recipe as mentioned in cgvl's posting - this particular recipe is personally untried because.
I have never made this dessert myself but have enjoyed it many many times in its perfection - made by my DH who does not use a recipe but just uses the quantity we consider appropriate for when the dessert is required of gingernuts, ginger wine or sherry and cream, however the method he uses is the same as in this recipe.

1 packet chocolate chip biscuits (or gingernuts)
½ cup muscatel or sherry - basically any cold liquid of choice can be used including fruit juice, fizzy drink, or of course, an alcoholic drink
1¼ cups cream, whipped

Dip (don't soak because the biscuits will become too soft and soggy) the biscuits, one at a time, in the wine, then spread each biscuit with the whipped cream.
On a serving plate line up the creamed biscuits to form a log. Cover the log completely with whipped cream.
Decorate as desired with e.g. chocolate chips, crumbled Flake bar, a dusting of cocoa or drinking chocolate or. Refrigerate for at least an hour - IMO it's best the next day although the outer coating of cream may become discoloured - to overcome that problem put the thinnest coating of cream on it when making the dessert then next day, apply another thin coating of fresh whipped cream and decoration of choice.

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Sep 8, 12:58am
Another suggestion.

"MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE. Makes a deep 30cm square. (large cake)
1.5kg dark choc buttons
1 kg butter
3/4 cup instant coffee powder dissolved in.
3&1/2 cups warm water
3 cups caster sugar
4 cups plain flour
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup of liqueur any flavur you like.
6 beaten eggs
1tsp salt.
METHOD.
melt buttons in a large Pyrex jug in the microwave, 1 minute bursts, stir well.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in the eggs
You will need a really large bowl for the mixing the rest together.
Fold all other ingredients in gradually.
Pour into a well lined tin. Bake @ 150 C for 2-3 hrs.
During the last 20mins or so, I place a folded damp T-towel over the nearly cooked cake to prevent a cracked crust to form.
Allow the cake to COMPLETELY cool, before tipping out of the tin
Ice with gnache.
Keeps well and pieces can be warmed in the microwave and served with cream or icecream.
1/2 the recipe will probably give you a 20cm cake.
WARNING. this cake does not earn the Heart Foundation tick.
Quotechicco2 (338 )6:29 am, Thu 4 Aug #4":-))

245sam, Sep 8, 1:00am
And another suggestion.

"I have made this a few times. Makes a nice change from chocolate mousse

Coffee Liqueur Mousse

Ingredients:

Brown sugar 11/4 cup - lightly packed
Water 1/2 cup
Milk 2 1/4 cup
Eggs 6 - separated
Kahlua 1/4 cup
Instant coffee 11/2 tablespoons
Boiling water 2 tablespoons
Gelatine 2 tablespoons
Cold water 1/3 cup
Cream 2 cups - whipped

Method:

Combine brown sugar and water in pan, stir over gentle heat until dissolved
Bring to boil, boil uncovered for 10 mins until it is toffee
Remove from heat, add milk, stir until toffee is dissolved
Stir in beaten egg yolks, Kahlua and coffee combined with boiling water
Sprinkle gelatine over cold water, dissolve over hot water
Cool 5 mins and stir into coffee mixture
Refrigerate until just beginning to set, fold in whipped cream
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form fold in to coffee mixture
Place in serving dish, refrigerate until set
Decorate with extra whipped cream and chocolate curls

Quotenoelinevc (124 )10:44 am, Sat 4 Dec #3":-))

tarshlove, Sep 8, 2:29am
cheesecake mmmm

shellz213, Sep 8, 2:53am
I've got a recipe "somewhere" for kahlua and chocolate cheesecake but for the life of me I can't find where I have safely stored my recipe book . I'll keep on hunting and post it if and when I find it!

tarshlove, Sep 8, 3:21am
ooo ill get a copy too :o)

shellz213, Sep 8, 3:30am
Found it!

KAHLUA & CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE

Biscuit Base
1 packet crushed malt biscuits
1/2 tsp cinnamon
100 grams melted butter
1 T brown sugar
Combine all and set in cheesecake or flan tin.

250 grams cream cheese
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp gelatine dissolved in 1 T hot water
2 T kahlua
2/3 cup whipped cream
125 grams melted chocolate
Beat cream cheese and sugar
Add dissolved gelatine and kahlua
Fold in whipped cream first, then melted chocolate
Leave in fridge till set

julz29, Sep 8, 4:28am
KAHLUA and chocolate primoyummmmm

rarogal, Sep 8, 6:44am
I make a chocolate and berry trifle at Xmas (because my kids dont like the traditional) and drizzle Kahlua all over the chocolate sponge. Delish!

samwise19, Sep 8, 7:00am
YUM thanks sooo much I'm eating a passion fruit cheesecake rite now NOM NOM
ops i just used my partners account

tarshlove

medicina, Sep 8, 7:21am
Drizzle over banana split, kids get golden syrup instead

lx4000, Sep 8, 7:37am
add to home made chocolates

mrgts4, Sep 8, 8:49am
The Wife makes a khalua and moro bar cheesecake. It is devine. Probably similar to the khalua and chocolate recipie

tarshlove, Sep 8, 8:09pm
Can you post this recipe too please!

cgvl, Sep 7, 11:45pm
use it to soak sponge for trifle or tiramasu. There is another recipe also that soaks gingernuts in alcohol and you make a log but I don't have the recipe.
Can add to cream when you whip it.

245sam, Sep 8, 12:45am
mattdylan, below is a recipe as mentioned in cgvl's posting - this particular recipe is personally untried because.
I have never made this dessert myself but have enjoyed it many many times in its perfection - made by my DH who does not use a recipe but just uses the quantity we consider appropriate for when the dessert is required of gingernuts, ginger wine or sherry and cream, however the method he uses is the same as in this recipe.

1 packet chocolate chip biscuits (or gingernuts)
½ cup muscatel or sherry - basically any cold liquid of choice can be used including fruit juice, fizzy drink, or of course, an alcoholic drink
1¼ cups cream, whipped

Dip (don't soak because the biscuits will become too soft and soggy) the biscuits, one at a time, in the wine, then spread each biscuit with the whipped cream.
On a serving plate line up the creamed biscuits to form a log. Cover the log completely with whipped cream.
Decorate as desired with e.g. chocolate chips, crumbled Flake bar, a dusting of cocoa or drinking chocolate or. Refrigerate for at least an hour - IMO it's best the next day although the outer coating of cream may become discoloured - to overcome that problem put the thinnest coating of cream on it when making the dessert then next day, apply another thin coating of fresh whipped cream and decoration of choice.

Hope that helps. :-))

shellz213, Sep 8, 2:53am
I've got a recipe "somewhere" for kahlua and chocolate cheesecake but for the life of me I can't find where I have safely stored my recipe book . I'll keep on hunting and post it if and when I find it!

samwise19, Sep 8, 7:00am
YUM thanks sooo much I'm eating a passion fruit cheesecake rite now NOM NOM
ops i just used my partners account

tarshlove

bev00, Sep 8, 12:19pm
Oh so yummy - my daughter makes it too with chocolate mudcake - we call it black forest trifle.

rusticedge, Sep 15, 8:01am
I make a kahula cheesecake but I do a marbled one - make your mix up but just before adding the melted chocolate split the mix in half & add the chocolate to one bowl. put the other bowl in the fridge until the mix has thickened- then spoon alternate mixes into your tin then swirl a knife thru it & then out into fridge.Yumo!

hotstuff111, Sep 15, 8:39am
2 crunchie bars and 2 cupsice cream and half cupkahula mix and wizz together and then freeze .

clonzy1, Sep 16, 1:59am
Admittedly only uses 2 tsp of kahlua, but I've made this chocolate coconut tart before and it is yummy:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup (90g) desiccated coconut
1 egg white, beaten lightly
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
300ml thickened cream
300g dark eating chocolate, chopped finely
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons Kahlua or Tia Maria

METHOD

Preheat oven to slow (140°C/120°C fan-forced). Grease a 20cm non-stick, smooth-based springform pan with base clipped in upside down.

Combine the coconut, egg white and caster sugar. Press the mixture evenly over base and 4cm up side of prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until golden. Cool.

Heat the cream until almost boiling. Add chocolate, stir until smooth, cool slightly.

Whisk egg yolks and liqueur into chocolate, strain. Pour chocolate mixture into coconut shell. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until set.

Cut into thin wedges to serve.

Picture at http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/1008234/rich-chocolate-coconut-tart

vinee, Sep 16, 5:45am
It makes nice coffee(boozy) flavoured whipped cream.
or poured on ice cream with some toasted almonds or that big coconut.
*have cut & pasted the cheesecake recipe!*