What is the difference between brie and camembert

mattdylan, Sep 6, 10:26pm
I can never tell !

cookessentials, Sep 6, 10:41pm
The differences result from milk from different breeds of cow, different pastoral and climatic conditions and the cheese sizes. Brie is typically a large, broad, flat wheel; camembert is always the smaller of the two. Brie is a smoother, creamier cheese with a subtle mushroomy taste; camembert has a slightly sweeter flavour. They are both from different reigons of France and although they are basically the same recipe, the tastedifference between the two is pretty subtle ( unless, of course, you are a cheese expert)

fpress, Sep 10, 5:39am
In NZ ! Nothing.just a different coloured wrapper.

pickles7, Sep 10, 6:13am

shop-a-holic, Sep 10, 6:17am
Size does matter.

pickles7, Sep 10, 6:26am
lol, There is a difference in texture, there for, your taste buds do pick up the difference.

mc134, Sep 10, 6:43am
Thought camembert was sweet, brie tangy.

pickles7, Sep 10, 6:59am
I would go along with that.mc134.both nice, I do prefer the camembert, myself, more a dessert, cheese.

traciles1914, Sep 10, 7:12am
My mum worked for a company that makes speciality cheese, they said in NZ they do not have the facilities in NZ to make them different. I do think that one has a slightly different consistency but taste is the same.

I told a work mate, she swore she hated Camembert and could always taste the difference. I brought a few of each and mixed them up. End of the night she grabbed a bit that she thought was Camembert and said yuck!Was brie.

kinna54, Sep 10, 7:38am
I find the texture different, brie is slightly creamier and sweeter, and less grainy,and there is a lot of difference between brands. Some camenbert can be quite ashy, which leaves a bit of an aftertaste. Depending upon what I am eating it with, I prefer brie, especially with grapes or strawberries, however I am also a sucker for rich crumbed camenbert and cranberry! (drools).

badams1, Sep 10, 9:55am
kinna, would you mind posting your recipe,,as above

pickles7, Sep 10, 11:20am
How do you crumb, camembert ! The camembert , I buy is too soft and creamy to crumb.

t.gypsy, Sep 10, 11:12pm
i love brie as it has a more buttery creamy taste and also it depends on the brands you get some brands do it better than others. The camenbert i find is a bit stranger in flavour.

davidt4, Sep 10, 11:22pm
Apart from the obvious difference in shape, Brie and Camembert originate from different regions of France, and the different pastures create the individual characters of the milk and therefore the cheeses.Camembert tends to be a bit stronger than Brie.Brie is a bit runnier than Camembert when ripe.

In NZ there really isn't much difference at all, both cheeses are usually sold unripe and don't have much character.

sarahb5, Sep 11, 12:33am
Ain't that the truth . never eat either NZ made brie or camembert until they're at least a week past their sell by date and always take it out of the fridge at least an hour before I want to eat it

kinna54, Sep 11, 3:51am
*Posting for you. *Keep it well chilled.*

Crumbed Camembert (or Brie)

This may be served as a starter or as a dessert.

Serve plain withcherries or grapes, with a side accompaniment of tartcranberry sauce .

Cut cheese into bite sized wedges.
Dip into flour, thenbeaten egg,, and then into veryfinely crushed wine biscuits . Repeat the egg and crumb layers to reacha firm, fairly thick coating.
Refrigerate until needed. The cheese should be very cold when cooked.

About 10 mins before serving take from the fridge and using a slotted spoon deep fry ina small pot of hot oil (200C)Remove and drain on absorbent
paperas soon as the crumbed coating is golden brown.
If cut immediately the cheese inside will be runny, if left to stand for 5 mins the inside will be firmer.

duckmoon, Sep 11, 3:55am
Good to see that my understanding seems to be upheld on TMMB.
My understanding was that they were made in different parts of France, the cows had different pastures and different climates. So, even though it was "milk" it had a different taste. therefore, even though the cheese making process was similiar (the same!), the cheeses had different qualites

pickles7, Sep 11, 4:36am
thanks,
Crumbed and deep fried, I was thinking you crumbled it. The Camembert that I buy has a soft centre.Wondered if there was a way to "crumble" it. lol.
I cannot understand why some people cannot "taste" the difference. I would not have dreamt of crumbing and deep frying brie.

pickles7, Sep 11, 4:49am
Similar would be how I see it.they do taste different. Maybe people who smoke, loose there taste buds. I have regained, mine.

davidt4, Sep 11, 11:22pm
Apart from the obvious difference in shape, Brie and Camembert originate from different regions of France, and the different pastures create the individual characters of the milk and therefore the cheeses.Camembert tends to be a bit stronger than Brie.Brie is a bit runnier than Camembert when ripe.

In NZ there really isn't much difference at all, both cheeses are usually sold unripe and don't have much character.

sarahb5, Sep 12, 12:33am
Ain't that the truth . never eat either NZ made brie or camembert until they're at least a week past their sell by date and always take it out of the fridge at least an hour before I want to eat it