Gem Irons

sadie5, Sep 2, 1:42am
Does anyone know if you can make gems in muffin pans as gem irons cost about $80. Even on TradeMe by the time you pay the freight they are nearly that. If anyone had some irons they wanted to sell and lived in Central Otago area I would be interested in discussing a price.

cookessentials, Sep 2, 2:05am
Gems in muffins tins are never the same.you need hot irons and the "sizzle" that comes when you add the batter.

jan.w1, Sep 2, 2:58am
gem irons are like "hens"teeth to buy,the real gem irons .

elliehen, Sep 2, 4:20am
You still see them in the charity shops here for just a few dollars.There was a Christchurch factory which made cast aluminium gem irons - not quite as desirable as the old cast iron ones, but still good, heavy quality.

suzanna, Sep 2, 6:18am
I see that you live in Alex. My friend who lives in Queenstown and is on the road each week bought me some last year from a 'treasure' shop and I'm sure that it was in Alex so I shall ask him and post his reply. The Sallies in Queenstown also has some wonderful kitchen finds at times.

chrisynz, Sep 2, 7:01am
I got two sets, of cast iron ones, i paid 5.00 for both them, from a second hand shop

muddler, Sep 2, 7:20am
You are lucky if you find cheap ones on op shops nowadays lol. i have one of each metal. You definatly need the sizzle to make the gems. you can buy a cast iron dutch pancake cooker that may work, unsure if theyre cheaper than $80 on here.

samsara11, Sep 2, 9:05am
You can buy them at Moore Wilsons in Wellington

cookessentials, Sep 2, 9:15am
Not really. Most cookware stores have them

cookessentials, Sep 2, 9:17am
There is a set here
* Start price: $37.00
* No reserve No reserve
* Closes: Thu 8 Sep, 6:30 am
* Listing #: 403292070
A good steel wool and a re-season will have them as goood as new

muddler, Sep 2, 8:06pm
what $37 bux! hmm might have to consider selling mine hahaha

cookessentials, Sep 2, 8:08pm
You can pay up to $80, even for cruddy second hand ones.