Cornmeal!

benmaria, Aug 29, 9:06am
I have been googling for an hour and still don't have an answer. The recipe I want uses cornmeal and comes from USA. What is the equivalent here in NZ as I went into the supermarket and noone knew what it was or where to find a substitute! Have you cooked a recipe using cornmeal and what did you use! thanks!

matakatia, Aug 29, 9:14am
Polenta :D

jamjars05, Aug 29, 9:16am
x1
Healtheries make cornmeal, look for it in the gluten free section, or you could try polenta from a european type deli, or the 'foreign food' section

benmaria, Aug 29, 9:19am
The googling I saw said in some instances polenta could be used but nothing was decisive, thanks for that :)

auntlb, Aug 29, 9:33am
I buy cornmeal from Pak N Save - it is in a box alongside the flours etc - usually near the bags of wholemeal flours etc.

benmaria, Aug 29, 9:46am
You can buy cornflour from there but haven't found cornmeal in the flours section

auntlb, Aug 29, 9:55am
Cornmeal is what I use to sprinkle on my pizza stones when making homemade pizza.It is usually around the packets of LSA etc - as someone suggested try looking in the 'gluten free' or 'healthy foods section' at your supermarket

benmaria, Aug 29, 10:03am
Thanks, will look for both Polenta and Cornmeal in PnS tomorrow :)

elliehen, Aug 29, 11:24am
New World has it in the Sun Valley range.

You can buy it coarse ground or fine.It makes a very tasty cornmeal flatbread to have with chilli.

hezwez, Aug 30, 9:39am
It's also delicious when a cup of cornmeal is mixed with a pot of melted dripping and birdseed and left to set in muffin pans. So I'm told by my friends outside.

elliehen, Aug 30, 10:05am
Much better for feathered friends than mouldy bread, which can harm them.

lilyfield, Aug 30, 12:21pm
its called Polenta and readily available in fine or coarse ground