Conversion to spoon size please.

voa, Aug 17, 10:54pm
I have a recipe that calls for 20g margarine, could somebody please let me know what spoon (liquid measure) size this is. Thanks in advance

245sam, Aug 17, 11:11pm
voa, we currently have Alfa One Rice Bran Oil Spread so I have just measured and weighed some of that and found that 1 standard 15ml NZ measuring tbsp = 10g so based on that you would need 2 tbsp if using standard measuring spoons.:-))

voa, Aug 17, 11:19pm
245sam thank you so quick with an answer

pickles7, Aug 17, 11:45pm
I would have gone for,
1 Tbsp+1 tsp
Totally depends on what you are making, some things you won't notice a bit more fat in.

245sam, Aug 18, 12:19am
That was my first thought too pickles7 because 1 x 15ml NZ measuring tbsp butter = 15g but i wasn't sure that margarine/oil spreads actually weigh the same as butter which I now know, they obviously don't.:-))

pickles7, Aug 18, 1:01am
I just went by my chart. oil, butter, both being "fat"
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp = 20 grams
marg probably is lighter, as it is whipped, and could be seen to be more, in volume = less weight.
Some of that weight will be made up with, air and added water, not fat at all.
Could be, 1 Tbsp of oil, 1 tsp water, emulsified,would equal 2 Tbsp of marg.

kinna54, Aug 18, 3:08am
20gms. Compact weight meaures different to mls. I have just made bread from a recipe which says 1 TBSP or 20gms marg

pickles7, Aug 18, 3:46am
Yes, bread can take more or less. I never use marg at all.
If you have ever extended butter you will know how much volume, that can be added, with water, air and oil. That is fine for some things.

voa, Aug 18, 4:28am
Thanks everyone, I now realise it's quite a science depending on what you are converting and what you are making,I used 2 tablespoons for bread and have just taken out a thick heavy blob out of the machine next time I will try just the 1 tablespoon .

pickles7, Aug 18, 11:45pm
I would have gone for,
1 Tbsp+1 tsp
Totally depends on what you are making, some things you won't notice a bit more fat in.

245sam, Aug 19, 12:19am
you're welcome voa.:-))

That was my first thought too pickles7 because 1 x 15ml NZ measuring tbsp butter = 15g but i wasn't sure that margarine/oil spreads actually weigh the same as butter which I now know, they obviously don't.:-))

voa, Aug 19, 4:28am
Thanks everyone, I now realise it's quite a science depending on what you are converting and what you are making,I used 2 tablespoons for bread and have just taken out a thick heavy blob out of the machine next time I will try just the 1 tablespoon .