Would you still eat it or throw away.

jaydan1, Aug 8, 4:31am
We have a 200gram Fillet Steak sealed in a vacumme pack, but it has a best before date of 24th July. Thank-you.We will obviously give it the smell test ourselfs, just wondering what the majority of other People would do.

thedigger, Aug 8, 4:33am
Frozen or in fridge!

I'd eat it if it was frozen, but not if it had been sitting in fridge.

jaydan1, Aug 8, 4:35am
It was in the Fridge, was just thinking of the old saying that steak gets better with age lol.

thedigger, Aug 8, 4:40am
Haha I'm incredibly picky.

I throw milk out when it reaches the day on the container.

teddiesbearall, Aug 8, 4:44am
I used to work in a supermarket as a meat-packer and steaks are by far better the older they are.it wil be fine - enjoy :)

davidt4, Aug 8, 4:47am
I'd bin it.Vacuum packed meat does not age but sits there in its own liquid and even when newly packaged tends to have a slightly rank smell.It's not the same as dry aged beef.

buzzy110, Aug 8, 4:49am
The smell test won't work if it has been vacuum packed imo. I've found that vacuum packed meats always smell off, even when they aren't. I'm a brave soul. I'd eat it but I wouldn't give it to anyone else, especially DH who has a much more 'delicate' constitution than me. I have a cast iron gut.

nfh1, Aug 8, 5:11am
I would bin it as well.Just the thought of it being over 2 weeks past its BB date would put me off.Life is too short to waste it having food poisoning.

margyr, Aug 8, 5:44am
if the vacum is still tight then I would eat it.

imn, Aug 8, 5:53am
Id open it, and smell it. if it doesnt smell right then id give it to the dog. lucky dog,

lythande1, Aug 8, 5:58am
Best before is NOT Use By.
Smells OK, eat it.

jills3, Aug 8, 5:59am
yes we would give it aquick wash then eat it.

nfh1, Aug 8, 5:59am
Poor dog!

beaker59, Aug 8, 6:04am
I'd eat it for sure.

jaydan1, Aug 8, 6:08am
Thanks. Partner has decided he's eating it no matter what lol. I will let him do the taste testing before I try it myself. To be honest, it does look ok, still tightly sealed and no green tinge to it, if anything it's gone darker. We shall cook up tomorrow and find out.

pickles7, Aug 8, 10:30pm
I would eat it.
You cannot age meat, once it is sliced.
We bought our steaks at least six weeks in advance, vacuum packed, but in whole steaks, not sliced. If you don't like the smell of it wash it with a little vinegar added to the water. Pat dry.
Enjoy.

margyr, Aug 9, 8:06am
so, how was it!

jaydan1, Aug 9, 8:34am
Just about to cook it up shortly,. Opened it up and smells perfect.looking forward to it along side Potato Salad and lettuce salad, will let you know.

nfh1, Aug 9, 8:37am
Hope it is good jaydan.

jaydan1, Aug 9, 10:07am
Yummy, was tender as and cooked perfectly., melted in your mouth.soo good. Almost got put off going by a few comments, but lucky I didn't lol. The best steak ever.

nfh1, Aug 9, 10:10am
Good you enjoyed it - I am a dreadful wimp about eating stuff after its date!The thought of it puts me off.I have had food poisoning once and I intend never to get it again.

pickles7, Aug 9, 10:11am
Hope you had a few onions on the, side.