Nauru - are you here!

gardie, Aug 7, 6:22pm
Some time ago, on a mayonnaise thread you mentioned that you add rice bran oil to your butter and I'd like to give it a go - how much oil to how much butter and do you just beat it in the electric mixer!Many thanks.

pickles7, Aug 7, 9:11pm
Found this for you!
gardie wrote:

I like the food processor and I use rice bran oil. I used to use grapeseed but I found by comparison with rice bran, the grapeseed has an 'oilier' texture. I don't like the flavour of any oil, and find rice bran doesn't have a flavour. I can use mustards for flavourings (and a good white wine vinegar). Annabel Langbein has a fab mayo recipe that keeps well.

Would you share your recipe please! I too prefer to use rice bran oil. I use it with butter to make a spread too.

nauru (107 )5:41 pm, Wed 22 Jun #11

gardie, Aug 8, 6:45am
Thanks pickles - that is the original thread I was asking nauru in but unfortunately, she never checked back.Here's hoping she gets to see this thread.

nauru, Aug 8, 9:58am
Hi Gardie, just seen your post
I use 300ml rice bran oil and 200ml water to 500g butter.
I use my chef mixer, I beat the butter until its soft then slowly add the oil, about 100ml at a time while the mixer is going on med speed.Beat until oil is incorporated before adding next lot. Once all oil is mixed in, add water 50ml at a time and beat well to incoporate before adding next lot, beat at a higher setting once all liquid is mixed in. I usually get 4-5 500ml containers from a batch.

pickles7, Aug 8, 10:17am
I guess this will remain spreadable.nauru

nauru, Aug 8, 10:59am
Yes pickles7 it does

gardie, Aug 8, 6:34pm
Awesome nauru- thank you so much.I'll give it a go on the weekend.Will sure beat margarine - can't wait till replace it. (And I'm glad you are still around!)PS - do you add the water because it needs it or just to increase the bulk!

nauru, Aug 9, 1:47am
Hi gardie, It increases the volume.Try both ways, do a batch without the water and see which you like better, it really comes down to personal preference. It stays spreadable so you don't use as much when using it as a spread. Just did another batch today, got 4+ cartons.Let me know how you go.

moreorless, Aug 9, 10:02am
Hi Nauru, could you cook with this, ie replace 50 grams of butter for 50grams of your recipe.
I presume you have posted this recipe because it makes the butter last longer as in stretches it further in use. Also can you freeze it like butter.
Im interested, could be a good saving when I cook muffins, cakes etc.

nauru, Aug 11, 8:59am
Yes,I use it for cooking and baking and have never had a failure so far, I use half the original amount of butter/marg in a recipe as it weighs about half of the same volume of marg. My filled 500g marg cartons weigh about 250g. Yes, I found it freezes OK.

nauru, Aug 12, 8:59am
Yes,I use it for cooking and baking and have never had a failure so far, I use half the original amount of butter/marg in a recipe as it weighs about half of the same volume of marg. My filled 500g marg cartons weigh about 250g. Yes, I found it freezes OK.
I started to do this as I reckon that the spread made with rice bran oil (my preference)and butter is much better than the plastic margarine with so many additives that is available and butter is getting too expensive to bake with these days.

gardie, Aug 14, 1:19am
Have just made a batch nauru in about 2 mins flat.I just beat the butter till soft then dumped in all the oil (didn't read to do it slowly till after!) and then added about 170ml water which also went in so easily (I had my doubts).Its in the fridge now and tastes quite buttery - and made about 2/3 of an icecream container.Hubby was impressed how far a pound of butter went!Thanks again nauru.

moreorless, Aug 14, 5:04am
Nauru thank you so much, and gardie I will follow in your footsteps and do the same, thanks also.

nauru, Aug 14, 7:12am
You are very welcome, just pleased to share.It certainly beats margarine any day.

gardie, Aug 15, 1:19am
Have just made a batch nauru in about 2 mins flat.I just beat the butter till soft then dumped in all the oil (didn't read to do it slowly till after!) and then added about 170ml water which also went in so easily (I had my doubts).Its in the fridge now and tastes quite buttery - and made about 2/3 of an icecream container.Hubby was impressed how far a pound of butter went!Thanks again nauru.

ayglepaygle, Aug 20, 10:28pm
I've just made some. It was easy!I got 2 x 1.2 litre containers full. Should make the butter go further, tastes way better than margarine and I know exactly what's in it. Thanks Nauru

gardie, Aug 21, 2:13am
And it will save you money aygle too!I have a pound of butter sitting on the bench to soften to make another batch.

ayglepaygle, Aug 21, 10:28pm
I've just made some. It was easy!I got 2 x 1.2 litre containers full. Should make the butter go further, tastes way better than margarine and I know exactly what's in it. Thanks Nauru

gardie, Aug 7, 6:22pm
Some time ago, on a mayonnaise thread you mentioned that you add rice bran oil to your butter and I'd like to give it a go - how much oil to how much butter and do you just beat it in the electric mixer!Many thanks.

pickles7, Aug 7, 9:11pm
Found this for you!
gardie wrote:

I like the food processor and I use rice bran oil. I used to use grapeseed but I found by comparison with rice bran, the grapeseed has an 'oilier' texture. I don't like the flavour of any oil, and find rice bran doesn't have a flavour. I can use mustards for flavourings (and a good white wine vinegar). Annabel Langbein has a fab mayo recipe that keeps well.

Would you share your recipe please! I too prefer to use rice bran oil. I use it with butter to make a spread too.

nauru (107 )5:41 pm, Wed 22 Jun #11

gardie, Aug 8, 6:45am
Thanks pickles - that is the original thread I was asking nauru in but unfortunately, she never checked back.Here's hoping she gets to see this thread.

gardie, Aug 8, 6:34pm
Awesome nauru- thank you so much.I'll give it a go on the weekend.Will sure beat margarine - can't wait till replace it. (And I'm glad you are still around!)PS - do you add the water because it needs it or just to increase the bulk!

nauru, Aug 9, 1:47am
Hi gardie, It increases the volume.Try both ways, do a batch without the water and see which you like better, it really comes down to personal preference. It stays spreadable so you don't use as much when using it as a spread. Just did another batch today, got 4+ cartons.Let me know how you go.