Celeriac-what do you do with it.

manlybeast1, Aug 6, 4:58am
I have just brought some celeriac from deans bush market in riccarton, chch it was the biggest I have ever seen and not expensive at all but what do I do with it, Have been told its a goumet veg, the lady ahs alot of it, and if its that yummy i will go back for more. Any ideas

davidt4, Aug 6, 5:22am
Celeriac makes a wonderful puree (mash).Boil it in salted water until completely tender, about 25 minutes, and puree in a food processor with salt and pepper, butter or cream.You can also make a half and half potato and celeriac puree, which has a little more body.

Raw celeriac is nice as a salad with proper mayonnaise.Julienne the celeriac (i.e. cut into matchsticks) and immediately fold through a good cupful of mayo which has been made with egg yolks and extra virgin oilive oil.

skippie1, Aug 6, 10:55pm
I also use it diced in small pieces in a vege soup, that's always how my mother used it.

dreamers, Aug 8, 12:10am

manlybeast1, Aug 8, 12:28am
thank you. I was just surprised how cheap it was- normally I have seen it in Auckland at $23-32 a kg in Auckland but they were sold small, medium , large from $6-10.It is delicious. The kids loved it too.

lythande1, Aug 8, 2:08am
Celeriac (Apium graveolens rapaceum) is also known as celery root, turnip-rooted celery or knob celery.

Celeriac is not as widely used as some other root vegetables, perhaps because it is harder to prepare and clean. celeriac is pretty good at taking on the flavors of the dishes in which it is used as an ingredient. For example it can be hard to discern from a potato or a parsnip in a dish such as osso bucco.

Gourmet, yeah. I just use celery.

dreamers, Aug 8, 2:36am
Lucky you,buying it cheap.Itused to be so cheap when we lived in Europe and bought it and it was always a good size,here in Auckland it is small and expensive.I tried growing it but it didnt grow very big but was still delicious.I have never had trouble peeling it .

uli, Aug 8, 5:02am
I add a grated peeled apple or two. I grate the celeriac very fine, then add the apple grated more coarse, so it is not ending up a mash. You can also add some chopped walnuts.

skippie1, Aug 6, 10:55pm
I also use it diced in small pieces in a vege soup, that's always how my mother used it.

bev00, Aug 7, 10:33am
wonderful ways to be adventurous and try celeriac.

kitty251, Aug 7, 10:45am
Hmmm, yummy dutch peasoup with celeriac and rookworst