Does anyone like these silicon bakewares?

firecentaurr, Aug 3, 1:50am
I've never tried them before and had always used tin pans for doing muffins and cakes.Have anyone done jelly in the bundt silicon pan?
Are these silicon bakeware worth buying or don't they work well?They used to cost an arm and a leg when they first hit the market...

What your thoughts on them? :)

lx4000, Aug 3, 2:17am
I like them for muffins but not when making heavy loaves as the tins don't hold their shape.!

elliehen, Aug 3, 3:40am
I wouldn't bother with a silicon oven 'cloth' or mitt.They're hard to bend to get a decent grip - I've reverted to using my trusty old padded fabric ones.

kaddiew, Aug 3, 3:45am
Silicon muffin trays never worked for me. Muffins came out looking nothing like those in metal trays. I threw the silicon ones away.

suie1, Aug 3, 4:18am
I have heard that you need to get good quality silicone bakeware, if it turns white on the crease when you double it back on itself it is poor quality & will not give good results, but equally I don't think I would spend the money for the Tupperware ones, a friend who loves Tupperware told me Wiltshire ones are just as good & don't cost anywhere near the same.

sarahj1, Aug 3, 4:36am
Didn't like results from my silicon muffins tray or square cake pan.Ditto previous poster on the silicon oven mitt too - too hard to grip tray with it - and come to think of it have never really used the silicon tray liner I bought either! - I feel a silicon baking gear listing coming on....

elliehen, Aug 3, 4:58am
Started thinking after my first post, about silicon/silicone, so asked my good friend Google:

sil·i·con (sl-kn, -kn)
n. Symbol Si
A nonmetallic element occurring extensively in the earth's crust in silica and silicates, having both an amorphous and a crystalline allotrope, and used doped or in combination with other materials in glass, semiconducting devices, concrete, brick, refractories, pottery, and silicones. Atomic number 14; atomic weight 28.086; melting point 1,410°C; boiling point 2,355°C; specific gravity 2.33; valence 4. See Table at element.

sil·i·cone [sil-i-kohn]
noun Chemistry .
any of a number of polymers containing alternate siliconand oxygen atoms, as (–Si–O–Si–O–) n ,whose properties are determined by the organic groups attached to the siliconatoms, and that are fluid, resinous, rubbery, extremely stable in high temperatures, and water-repellent: used as adhesives, lubricants, and hydraulic oils and in electrical insulation, cosmetics, etc.
Origin:
1905–10; silic(on)+ -one

Can be confused:  silicon, silicone .

firecentaurr, Aug 5, 10:10am
Thanks everyone for your input, I guess I'd beeter stick with the 'old and tried' things such as metal baking tins and muffin tins :)

elliehen, Aug 5, 10:16am
One thing which has made the baker's life easy is baking paper.I wouldn't be without that :)

kinna54, Aug 5, 10:25am
I don't like them either, just don't trust them with my old hands. Yes Elliehen baking paper is the best thing ever! Alongside cooking spray! for muffin pans.

doris33, Aug 10, 1:14am
ohh my goodness I think the silicone baking dishes are the bomb - wouldnt use anything else.

asue, Aug 10, 2:21am
best thing since sliced bread.

daleaway, Aug 10, 2:47am
I was baking a lot of mini-muffins for an event and did half in (borrowed)silicon trays and half in conventional teflon-coated tin trays.
The tin trays worked miles better - quicker cooking times and more even browning. And of course as they did not wobble, much easier to handle.

bill241, Aug 10, 3:14am
I don't like them because I find they don't give the right finish to the outside of muffins, cakes and friands. But they're very easy to get things out of so its a trade-off. I have the Wiltshire ring pan (no good so far),muffin pan (crap: why are the silicon moulds never as big as metal muffin moulds! And why only six!) and the round cake pan which seems to be alright.

ceila, Aug 10, 4:36am
I love Silicon bakeware my cakes and muffins come out great no problems hereI use the silicon ring one heaps