"MOUSE TRAPS"

marree, Jul 27, 5:02am
I remember these as a kid and want to make some.So do I just spread lightly with butter / marg & vegemite / marmite, then bake (what temperature / for how long?).For best results do I cut crusts off / leave on and from your experience is it better to use sandwich bread (thin) or toast (thick).Anything else I can add (keeping in mind I'd like to keep in airtight container without them vanishing in one hit - so other toppings that will 'keep' for a few days would be good.Ta.

lx4000, Jul 27, 5:07am
toast bread or under grill 1 side.

top with onion, spags, cheese, ham, tomato etc then top with cheese then grill.

Or in bowl mix egg, grated cheese, onion, tomato ham etc. Pour over toast and grill :)

These freeze down well:)

marree, Jul 27, 5:20am
Thanks lx4000 - sounds yum & I will try (first I'll have a go at the basic vegemite / marmite scenario).Can you tell me tho your preference (do I cut the crusts off and which is best thin or thick bread - or does it really matter?).It's just really a snacky thing for hubby & kids (so I don't really think they'll give a toss (it's food!).Thanks.

elliehen, Jul 27, 5:28am
I regularly fed a bunch of boys mouse-trap snacks and they liked crusts on (thick or thin didn't matter) but preferred marmite with a spread of tomato sauce on top, then cheese, before going under the grill.It's best if they stay crisp and not soggy, so I didn't put butter on before the marmite - there was enough fat in the cheese top.

Edited to add: As above, toast one side only and then grill the one with the topping.

lx4000, Jul 27, 5:28am
leave the crusts on. Just make sure cheese is to the edge and any bread thickness is good, its your choice but I would think for the vegemite ones, thin would be best as you want them crisp. Bake and check the underside to make sure they are hardish I would think. Watch them closely.

jessie981, Jul 27, 5:36am
The secret is not to toast first but cook on low oven rung & both sides get cooked. I use grated cheese, onion & beaten egg. Spread on then toast. No need to butter or 'decrust'. Can use any other toppings tomatoes etc

norse_westie, Jul 27, 5:50am
I use stale or unused (then frozen for mousetrap day) hamburger buns or bread rolls. I put a generous amount of spaghetti or baked beans on, then some chopped ham, onion, pineapple and plenty of cheese. No pre-toasting, but bake in the oven on a low-medium heat.

My kids love these.

nfh1, Jul 27, 5:56am
Haha = I wondered why someone was posting about mouse traps in recipes!

marree, Jul 27, 6:05am
Cool - heaps of ideas - I'm going to 'experiment' tonight.Honestly I can cook great meals, but not a 'baker' (mostly in past things end up in the bin or dog gets).I realise proper mixing is a huge key to success, but also re oven heat / cooking time I have difficulty with (every oven is different).The one thing I have found good (that I've never really used before) is 'fan baking'.I had a bit of a 'baking binge' the other day (hubby thought WTF? - he's not used to me doing - I said 'don't knock it - you may never get again).Well all got polished off by him & kids - I started 'basic' - made cornflake cookies, coconut slice & lolly slice (malt biscuits with marshmallows etc).I'm so proud (coz honestly everything's normally a flop).So I'm trawling here & copying / saving lots of the lovely recipes.One of my next 'adventures' will be homemade icecream (oh geez wish me luck!).

kay141, Jul 27, 7:44am
Grated cheese and bacon on ours. When the children were at school, I baked the bread alone until crisp. Kept it in a tin. After school they would spread it with butter and whatever, usually marmite,as their snack. So economical. Butter was cheap in those days too.

kinna54, Jul 27, 9:39am
Wish I had a dollar for every time I made these as a kindy helper.! Collected my wee granddie from pre-school the other day and was delighted to see that all the kiddies were sitting on the mat eating them. It was a feezing day, and was so good to see them all enjoying their snack and their milo. Good to see some traditions carry on.

vintagekitty, Jul 27, 9:49am
nice. I made heaps of cheese rolls today, were so lovely with hot Tomato soup for lunch

tantric5, Jul 27, 10:00am
I love mouse traps...

good ol sunday pot luck dinner fare

r-mvz, Jul 27, 11:11am
I add an egg yoke to the cheese mix and a little mixed herbs ( just a pinch) grill, when half cooked spread the mix out with a fork, finish grilling... yummy

Lightly toast the bread first

rainrain1, Jul 27, 8:10pm
grated cheese, chopped bacon and onion, add an egg. Spread unbuttered bread slices with tomato relish, top with a bit of tomato (optional) and bake traps in a moderate oven till puffed up and lightly golden

vtired, Jul 27, 10:53pm
Hamburger bun cut in half, top with heated left over mince, spaghetti and grated cheese and put under grill, very very nice.

vtired, Jul 27, 10:55pm
Instead of tom relish and raw tom I cut up sunblushed toms and put on top then grill.

marree, Jul 28, 5:02am
I remember these as a kid and want to make some.So do I just spread lightly with butter / marg & vegemite / marmite, then bake (what temperature / for how long!).For best results do I cut crusts off / leave on and from your experience is it better to use sandwich bread (thin) or toast (thick).Anything else I can add (keeping in mind I'd like to keep in airtight container without them vanishing in one hit - so other toppings that will 'keep' for a few days would be good.Ta.

marree, Jul 28, 5:20am
Thanks lx4000 - sounds yum & I will try (first I'll have a go at the basic vegemite / marmite scenario).Can you tell me tho your preference (do I cut the crusts off and which is best thin or thick bread - or does it really matter!).It's just really a snacky thing for hubby & kids (so I don't really think they'll give a toss (it's food!).Thanks.

elliehen, Jul 28, 5:28am
I regularly fed a bunch of boys mouse-trap snacks and they liked crusts on (thick or thin didn't matter) but preferred marmite with a spread of tomato sauce on top, then cheese, before going under the grill.It's best if they stay crisp and not soggy, so I didn't put butter on before the marmite - there was enough fat in the cheese top.

Edited to add: As above, toast one side only and then grill the one with the topping.

jessie981, Jul 28, 5:36am
The secret is not to toast first but cook on low oven rung & both sides get cooked. I use grated cheese, onion & beaten egg. Spread on then toast. No need to butter or 'decrust'. Can use any other toppings tomatoes etc

marree, Jul 28, 6:05am
Cool - heaps of ideas - I'm going to 'experiment' tonight.Honestly I can cook great meals, but not a 'baker' (mostly in past things end up in the bin or dog gets).I realise proper mixing is a huge key to success, but also re oven heat / cooking time I have difficulty with (every oven is different).The one thing I have found good (that I've never really used before) is 'fan baking'.I had a bit of a 'baking binge' the other day (hubby thought WTF! - he's not used to me doing - I said 'don't knock it - you may never get again).Well all got polished off by him & kids - I started 'basic' - made cornflake cookies, coconut slice & lolly slice (malt biscuits with marshmallows etc).I'm so proud (coz honestly everything's normally a flop).So I'm trawling here & copying / saving lots of the lovely recipes.One of my next 'adventures' will be homemade icecream (oh geez wish me luck!).

tantric5, Jul 28, 10:00am
I love mouse traps.

good ol sunday pot luck dinner fare

r-mvz, Jul 28, 11:11am
I add an egg yoke to the cheese mix and a little mixed herbs ( just a pinch) grill, when half cooked spread the mix out with a fork, finish grilling. yummy

Lightly toast the bread first