Kiwifruit Glut..what can I do with them?

infinity11, Jul 16, 8:37pm
I've been given a box of golden kiwifruit. Anyone got any ideas of how to use this many?

maximus44, Jul 16, 8:40pm
They would make nice jam I would think. I have had green kiwifruit jam so I imagine the golden ones would be as good or better. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

winnie231, Jul 16, 8:54pm
I was dubious about the following recipe but I tried it - and loved it!

KIWIFRUIT CHUTNEY
1 Kg (2•2 lbs) kiwifruit
2 bananas
3 onions
zest of 1 lemon and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup each of raisins, brown sugar and white vinegar
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
3 tbsp crystallized ginger
2 tsp salt

Peel and slice the kiwifruit, chop the onions and bananas. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and boil gently for about 1 hour until soft and thick. Stir frequently, cool, spoon into sterilized jars and seal.

winnie231, Jul 16, 8:56pm
Also if you type kiwifruit into the search function on the left of this page & change date posted for the last year you will find lots of recipes for using your kiwifruit :)

winnie231, Jul 16, 8:58pm
And here's a couple of jam recipes from the old trademecooks website ...

Kiwi Fruit and Ginger Jam
To make the jam I weigh kiwifruit put in a large pot bring to boil with a small amount of water to stop from sticking to pot. Boil 10 mins add chopped preservered ginger about a packet of it and the same weight of sugar as kiwifruit. boil until ready to set. Bottle. If have 1.5kg Kiwifruit and 1.5kg of sugar and 75g preserved ginger and 1/4cup water. hope that helps.
posted by cqvl

Kiwifruit Jam....
750gm kiwifruit peeled and chopped, 1 golden delicious apple peeled, cored and chopped, 2 limes juiced, 1 c sugar. Combine kiwifruit, apple and 1/3c lime juice in large microwaveable bowl. Cover and nuke on high 3 mins or until fruit is warm. Remove and stir in sugar. Nuke again on high for 3 mins stirring every minute until sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, microwave on high for a further 15-18mins or until jam reaches setting point (put a tsp full on a cold saucer pop in freezer 1 minute and run your finger through. If it wrinkles and stays separated its ready). Use on scones, to fill sponge cakes, on fruit toast or warm croissants. posted by rkcroft

winnie231, Jul 16, 9:01pm
And one more ...

Kiwi Fruit Honey
5 Large Kiwifruit,50 grams Butter,Juice of 2 Lemons,3 Eggs and 1 1/4 cups of Sugar.Puree or mash the kiwifruit.Place in a large bowl.Melt butter in microwave on high for 40 seconds.Add lemon juice,lightly beaten eggs,sugar and kiwifruit.cook on medium heat 3 minutes,stir and cook 2 minutes.Stir again and cook 7-9 minutes on medium untill thickened.pour into sterilised jars and seal. keep in a cool place.can be used in a similar way as lemon honey.Makes about 11/2 cups.
posted by chirpygirl

lx4000, Jul 16, 10:21pm
instead of banana's, swap with kiwi in a banana cake:)

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 10:49pm
Kiwifruit may be sun dried, dried in the oven or in a home dehydrator. the fruit may be eaten dried, or soaked in water an hour or two and used in cooking. Steaming the dried fruit a few minutes over boiling water makes it moister to add to cakes, cookies and baked goodies.

Use soft-ripe fruit. Cut in halves or thick slices. Dip in heavy sugar syrup in which 1 teaspoon ascorbic acid crystals per quart have been dissolved. Dry in hot sun until pliable and leathery. Or in oven with heat about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. (do not heat above 150 degrees Fahrenheit). Or in home drier according to manufacturer's directions.

For a confection, kiwifruit may be candied or glazed.

Kiwifruit makes an excellent fruit leather. Mix strained pulp with sugar to taste and dry in thin sheets on plastic sheets in sun or home dehydrator. A great treat for the children.

bunny51, Jul 16, 11:51pm
I had a recipe for kiwifruit relish which was really easy to make an dtasted nice. (Cn't find it at the moment though but osmeone else might have a similar recipe.) Or kiwi fruit jam, My mother useed to make that. Kiwi fruit muffins are nice too.

kinna54, Jul 17, 9:28am
Simplypeel, pulp, and freeze. Gorgeous as an ice cream topping, used in cheesecake fillings or diluted as a drink. Can be used as a meat marinade, or as a muffin filling.

kuaka, Jul 17, 9:48am
Don't bother making wine, I did some last season when I was given heaps, but it's very sweet and bland.Not worth the bother.

bev00, Jul 17, 10:47am
kiwi fruit anyone!

blt10, Jul 17, 10:58am
Kiwifruit cake.

infinity11, Jul 16, 8:37pm
I've been given a box of golden kiwifruit. Anyone got any ideas of how to use this many!

maximus44, Jul 16, 8:40pm
They would make nice jam I would think. I have had green kiwifruit jam so I imagine the golden ones would be as good or better. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

winnie231, Jul 16, 8:58pm
And here's a couple of jam recipes from the old trademecooks website .

Kiwi Fruit and Ginger Jam
To make the jam I weigh kiwifruit put in a large pot bring to boil with a small amount of water to stop from sticking to pot. Boil 10 mins add chopped preservered ginger about a packet of it and the same weight of sugar as kiwifruit. boil until ready to set. Bottle. If have 1.5kg Kiwifruit and 1.5kg of sugar and 75g preserved ginger and 1/4cup water. hope that helps.
posted by cqvl

Kiwifruit Jam.
750gm kiwifruit peeled and chopped, 1 golden delicious apple peeled, cored and chopped, 2 limes juiced, 1 c sugar. Combine kiwifruit, apple and 1/3c lime juice in large microwaveable bowl. Cover and nuke on high 3 mins or until fruit is warm. Remove and stir in sugar. Nuke again on high for 3 mins stirring every minute until sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, microwave on high for a further 15-18mins or until jam reaches setting point (put a tsp full on a cold saucer pop in freezer 1 minute and run your finger through. If it wrinkles and stays separated its ready). Use on scones, to fill sponge cakes, on fruit toast or warm croissants. posted by rkcroft

winnie231, Jul 16, 9:01pm
And one more .

Kiwi Fruit Honey
5 Large Kiwifruit,50 grams Butter,Juice of 2 Lemons,3 Eggs and 1 1/4 cups of Sugar.Puree or mash the kiwifruit.Place in a large bowl.Melt butter in microwave on high for 40 seconds.Add lemon juice,lightly beaten eggs,sugar and kiwifruit.cook on medium heat 3 minutes,stir and cook 2 minutes.Stir again and cook 7-9 minutes on medium untill thickened.pour into sterilised jars and seal. keep in a cool place.can be used in a similar way as lemon honey.Makes about 11/2 cups.
posted by chirpygirl

lx4000, Jul 16, 10:21pm
instead of banana's, swap with kiwi in a banana cake:)

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 10:49pm
Kiwifruit may be sun dried, dried in the oven or in a home dehydrator. the fruit may be eaten dried, or soaked in water an hour or two and used in cooking. Steaming the dried fruit a few minutes over boiling water makes it moister to add to cakes, cookies and baked goodies.

Use soft-ripe fruit. Cut in halves or thick slices. Dip in heavy sugar syrup in which 1 teaspoon ascorbic acid crystals per quart have been dissolved. Dry in hot sun until pliable and leathery. Or in oven with heat about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. (do not heat above 150 degrees Fahrenheit). Or in home drier according to manufacturer's directions.

For a confection, kiwifruit may be candied or glazed.

Kiwifruit makes an excellent fruit leather. Mix strained pulp with sugar to taste and dry in thin sheets on plastic sheets in sun or home dehydrator. A great treat for the children.

bunny51, Jul 16, 11:51pm
I had a recipe for kiwifruit relish which was really easy to make an dtasted nice. (Cn't find it at the moment though but osmeone else might have a similar recipe.) Or kiwi fruit jam, My mother useed to make that. Kiwi fruit muffins are nice too.

kuaka, Jul 17, 9:48am
Don't bother making wine, I did some last season when I was given heaps, but it's very sweet and bland.Not worth the bother.