Cheesemakers In Here- Help! I Have A New Addiction

Page 6 / 6
davidt4, Aug 29, 9:12pm
I did the sums after six weeks and my kit had already paid for itself in feta, haloumi, creme fraiche and mascarpone.

My first batch of mozzarella was beautiful on the day it was made but didn't store well.After two days it had gone slimy.Next time I will acidify the brine, and if that doesn't work I might freeze what we don't eat immediately.

davidt4, Sep 1, 4:03am
Thanks P-W, but I'm already using the Mad Millie system and the slimy brine had been acidified a little - it didn't help.I've been looking into the issue extensively and it seems to be a very common problem, with a great number of variables.I think the short answer might be to freeze any mozzarella that doesn't get eaten within 24 hours.

I used the slimy stuff in a baked dish (Eggplant Parmigiana) and it was fine to eat, it's just thetexture that wasn't right.

whiskey13, Sep 1, 10:03am
Am thinking of getting a cheese kit for someone for xmas ( won't name them just in case they read this lol). Wasn't expecting it to cost as must as it does but by reading all these posts it sounds like it will be money well spend