Help for my Dad please

eternity04, Jul 11, 4:46am
Does anyone have a good old fashioned recipe for Dumplings (DoughBoys). My Dad used to make these up all the time but now he can't find his recipe. Can anyone help me out please.

TIA Jan...

harrislucinda, Jul 11, 4:50am
apuddingdumplingor1thatgoeson topofastew

lx4000, Jul 11, 4:55am
or maori doughboys ?

fisher, Jul 11, 6:10am
Dough Boys
Place2 cups self raising flour and pinch salt into a bowl.Add water and make into a HARD dough.Kneed out and cut into strips 3cm wide.
Rip bits off and flatten with fork and add to boiling pot.Stir to make sure they do not stick together.
Glad-wrap the extra uncooked dough~freeze and thaw for next time.
Dumplings
11/2 cups flour1 tsp baking powderpinch salt50g buttermilk and water to mix.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
Rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with milk and water
Drop spoonfuls on boiling stew and cook 10 mins with lid off and then 10 mins with lid on saucepan or casserole dish until dumplings are fluffy
Variations:
You can add a crumbled beef oxo cube or chicken oxo cube depending on the dish you are making.
Alternatively you can add a 1 tsp of mixed herbs ~ a variety of herbs ~ or some fine chopped parsley for that seafood chowder.
Dumplings can be put into a variety of dishes and made with various additions to enhance those dishesBacon ~ Chicken ~ Chilli ~ Surimi ...etc etc
Can also be made with Corn Meal added.

eternity04, Jul 11, 11:08am
thanks for that fisher. sorry that i forgot to say that i wanted recipes to put on top of a stew. Dad is going to love this, but Ill hear from Mum lol..

janny3, Jul 11, 12:07pm
Try the potato or pumpkin dumplings? http://australianfood.abou​t.com/od/pacificislandpoly​nesian/r/PumpkinDumpling.h​tm

Potato dumplings are nice in a boil up too.
I use about 1 c riced potatoes, 1 egg w/ 1/2 - 1 c flour enough to make the mixture like smooth mashed potatoes.Drop tsp fulls into boiling soup, stock or stew.Cover & simmer for around 10 - 15 mins.

esther-anne, Jul 11, 8:58pm
I make dumplings for the top of my stew regularly.

To make 8 medium size is soooo simple-I measure it very roughly since I have made them for donkeys years.

4 heaped tablespoons self raising flour

2 heaped teaspoons baking powder

Pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.

Half the amount of flour of shredded suet i.e. two slightly heaped tablespoons(available from the supermarket - not that cheap but has a long life in the fridge,

Mix all well with a spoon - no need to rub in the fat or anything - add sufficient icy cold water to make a slightly wet dough.Shape into dumplings - we don't like them too big. Place in the pot on top of gently simmering stew (works better if the stew is at simmer point) put the lid on tightly and don't lift it for 20 minutes when the dumplings should be light and fluffy and absolutely delicious with the gravy.

Alter quantities to fit how many dumplings you require e.g. if you use 6 tbspns flour use 3 tbspns suet - and don't overcrowd them in the pot, they need room to pretty well double in size.Yummy!!

pickles7, Jul 11, 9:25pm
8oz Self Raising flour -
4oz of Beef Suet -
a good sprinkling of Salt and Pepper -
mix to a doe with cold water
roll into balls and pop into your stew in the pan on a low heat.
put the lid on the pot and don't take it off for 15 minutes

eternity04, Jul 12, 1:55am
Does anyone know if you can put these into the slowcooker and if so when would you put them in?

esther-anne, Jul 12, 5:43am
I really don't know eternity04.I gave my slow cooker away because I didn't like it.But then I am retired and don't need the benefits of that in that I am always present when my food is cooking.I am a huge fan of slow cooking though but I do mine in oven or on top at low temperatures.

I don't fancy dumplings that have been a long time in the cooking - the secret to me is they go on top of a simmering dish for no longer than 15/20 minutes.

Not much help I'm afraid!!

pickles7, Jul 12, 7:20am
I cook mine in the slow cooker. Put the cooker on high for ten minutes before adding the dumplings, cook on high for 15 / 20 minutes. Perfect.
Darn, I feel more dumplings comming on.

esther-anne, Jul 12, 7:33am
Me too pickles - so much so that the beef for a curry is nowa stew waiting for the dumplings to be popped on!!

pickles7, Jul 12, 8:11am
yummmmm, dinner must be on the table by now then. Enjoy....esther-anne

esther-anne, Jul 12, 8:41am
Delisoso!! thanks pickles!!

janny3, Jul 12, 1:24pm
THANKS Pickles.I'm going to try that w/ these mashed potato dumplings next.http://www.ehow.com/how_5289116_make-dumplings-leftover-mashed-potatoes.html

farmerbob2, Jul 14, 4:22am
Try this:
2 cups flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp (heaped) Maggi chicken stock (you don't need salt with stock)
1 cup suet
mix with milk until combined, knead gently then roll out to the size of your casserole dish. Mark portions with knife but not right through. Place on top of casserole, sprinkle with grated cheese and pop into oven 190C for 6 - 8 minutes - really delicious.