Sweetbreads

ambrose, Jul 5, 1:13pm
is there anyone out there who can tell me where to buy sweetbreads in Christchurch? Would be so grateful. Thanks already.

carl-van-essen, Jul 5, 1:22pm
best to call the butcher and ask.

jessie981, Jul 5, 7:56pm
Mad Butcher

micky_1, Jul 5, 9:59pm
yup mad butcher ask them to order them in

timturtle, Jul 6, 12:49am
Saw frozen ones at raewood fresh by the airport

buzzy110, Jul 6, 1:04am
I get mine from my butcher but I see them sometimes in supermarket Butchery Dept freezers. They come in a little box and are sometimes labelled "Lamb's Brains" and usually there is French writing on the box.

Wanted to add, they are just so delicious.

parkvale58956, Jul 6, 1:11am
Sweetbreads are the pancreas, not the brain.

davidt4, Jul 6, 1:16am
Sweetbreads can be the pancreas or the thymus.One kind is elongated in shape, the other more globular (I can't remember which is which).Both kinds taste the same and are treated in the same way.They are certainly not brains.

buzzy110, Jul 6, 1:48am
Ooops. My bad.

tubbo007, Jul 6, 2:39am
always thort they were glands or is pancreas and thymus other names lol

timturtle, Jul 6, 3:37am
How do you normally cook them ? You used to get them at Californian fried chicken shops crumbed

davidt4, Jul 6, 4:00am
I haven't cooked them for years, but I used to crumb them, fry in clarified butter and serve with a beurre noisette.You have to clean them well, then simmer in water for a few minutes to firm them up.Cool, flour, egg, breadcrumb.Chill.Saute in butter until crisp.

The last time I ate sweetbreads as in a French restaurant and they were sauteed in butter (not crumbed) and served with garlic butter and lemon juice.Very rich but delicious.

ambrose, Jul 9, 5:35am
Thank you all, for your help, I'll makea special trip to Raewards' or ring the Mad butcher. Best way to cook them is:
boil them for 20 minutes, drain.
break up some bread into pieces,
couple of eggs, mix with the bread
Shallow fry in butter for approx 5-10 minutes, (they're already cooked, the frying is for the browning, makes it look nice, and, of course it tastes great.
cheers all
Kathy

rainrain1, Jul 9, 5:39am
Glands is the buzz word...they are taken from lambs still on mothers milk my farmer thinks, these would be sweeter ......but possibly from weaners as well, not sure....poor little dudes

addington261, Jul 9, 5:56am
Interested in how much they cost now..anyone know?They used to be very cheap ayears ago.

jessie981, Jul 9, 6:40am
Not sure of price, but they are expensive now days.

ambrose, Jul 9, 1:23pm
you can buy them in Oamaru for $11 a packet, (approx dozen) or in Christchurch it's $16 a packet. They used to be cheap until overseas people realised we had them, and now we pay through the nose, a la crayfish, paua, oysters, whitebait, who can afford them? It really annoys me sometimes that we can't enjoy the food that is produced here because we can't afford it. Mind you, diary, meat and veges are becoming out of reach for some..........sheeeeeeees, eat grass?

samanya, Jul 9, 10:33pm
I bought frozen sweetbreads at Raeward...454g for $4.99
I don't think they were on special.

schnauzer11, Jul 10, 10:07am
OI !!There's a huge diff between sweetbreads and brains,though both are lovely.They need different treatment though.Sheesh!