Polenta

kirmag, Jul 5, 1:42am
Does it have a flavour?Never used it and don't know if I have eaten it in anything.Was looking for a recipe for Chicken Pie and came across on on the Campbell's Real Stock page, which uses it.Is it just a thickening agent?or does it add it's own flavour to the dish too?TIA :)

embroiderr, Jul 5, 4:03am
Polenta is cracked corn - sometime ground quite finely.I use it instead of potatoes and cook it in chicken stock.My kids love it!

buzzy110, Jul 5, 12:15pm
When I was vego, many years ago, I made some and found it just plain horrible. I did wonder if perhaps I was either doing something wrong (I followed the instructions to the letter) or whether it could have been jazzed up. So I jazzed it up and it still hit the rubbish bin, uneaten. I've always wondered what I did wrong and at the recent Organic Fair I tried some that the experts were making. Everyone was saying how wonderful it was. Well blow me down if I didn't think it was just as ghastly as the stuff I made, if not worse!!

It tastes just like I imagine hot, blended up cardboard or tofu would taste. Still. Everyone is different and gnocchi made with polenta is apparently a favourite of some country - can't remember which one, but a lot of their countrymen live in New York if I remember correctly. And, btw, I loathe gnocchi as well. So if you like gnocchi you are bound to like polenta.

juliewn, Jul 5, 12:34pm
Hi..the taste depends on the seasonings and other ingredients you add to it, once it's cooked, as it's bland on it's own..

It can be boiled in water or stock till very thick, seasonings, spices, herbs, etc.. added, some parmesan or other stronger flavoured cheese.. using enough seasonings, herbs, cheese/s, etc..to make it a very tasty mix..

Spread it in a greased or baking paper lined dish and chill well.

Cut into slices, or wide lengths, however you choose.. and use instead of pasta in Lasagne or cannelloni type dishes, grill some as you would a hash brown to have with poached eggs, etc..etc..

fortuna_i, Jul 5, 9:10pm
The result greatly depends on the quality of the polenta itself. In northern Italy (where it originates) it is used to accompany meals such as casseroles, to soak up the juices as an alternative to bread.
Make sure you cook it very well though, otherwise its taste left uncooked is horrible and grainy. It must be cooked until it is creamy and the the grains have disappear, you would know by the smell as well, it smells ....cooked (sorry it is difficult to describe but you'll know), the time really depends on the polenta itself, there are "instant" type that cooks for about 30 min, and other for well over 1 hour.
Like others have suggested, you can enhance its flavour by adding some butter and parmisan (or other tasty cheese) at the end of cooking.
It is also great grilled: once cooked, you spread slightly on a board to cool until it is cold and firm, then you can cut it in diamonds or other shapes and grill it on the BBQ. Great also as an entree topped with blue cheese and a slice of pear and put in the oven for a few minutes (if you like blue cheese it's yum!)

spongeypud, Jul 6, 4:42am
I use chicken stock and then finish off with a few fresh herbs and some parmesan cheese grated into it, it's delicious.