Has anyone made a croquembouche before

Page 1 / 2
xnzxbubbles, Jul 4, 7:56am
looking at making one for my birthday, how difficult did you find it

uli, Jul 4, 8:01am
"has anyone made a croquembouche before..."

Before what?

And yes I have, many. Although they were real Italian ones - which hasn't got stainless cones inside - and the balls are filled with ice cream - not cream, then drizzled with chocolate. Kept in a 18 degree minus (C) cooler on display.

uli, Jul 4, 8:56am
Pretty good kimkat1- was that over a cone?

nfh1, Jul 4, 9:24am
Very impressive.

elliehen, Jul 4, 9:29am
"A croquembouche or croque-en-bouche is a French pastry, a pièce montée that is often served at weddings, baptisms, and first communions. It is a high cone of choux filled with pastry cream that can be dipped in chocolate bound with caramel, and usually decorated with threads of caramel, sugared almonds, chocolate, flowers, or ribbons. They are also often covered in macarons, a small pastry consisting of two layers and a flavoured cream or ganache.

The name comes from the French words croque en bouche meaning 'crunch in the mouth'."

I want the French one :)

kimkat1, Jul 4, 5:57pm
No ,, no cone, just 200 profiteroles, filled with french cream and dunked in chocolate then left to set then using a little more chocolate layered up a round circle at a time to get to the cone shape.... was for my cousins wedding, first time I had ever attempted one.....

ferita, Jul 4, 6:07pm
I have made a few in the past as a young chef. I have never heard of anyone making them over a cone, your normally make them in a cone and then you "tap" them out.

elliehen, Jul 4, 9:26pm
Stunning!...especially for a first-timer - after watching the Masterchef attempts last year ;)

nfh1, Jul 4, 9:34pm
It looks too pretty to eat - almost!

kimkat1, Jul 5, 12:55am
yeah it was delicious and I have 2 more to make this year just like it now... word gets around.....It was actually quite easy and yes I watched master chef and thought I could do so much better, but I hate the idea of the cameras and being judged....

indy95, Jul 5, 1:26am
This was your first attempt at a croquembouche ? Very impressive !

seaturtle, Jul 23, 9:05pm
Just follow the masterchef recipe in the first book
We didnt have a cone so put a double layer on the plate then stacked them up
dipped them in toffee and this stuck them together
then added spun sugar
looked fab and took about 10 of us to eat it
yum

norse_westie, Jul 23, 9:07pm
That is awesome. I know a french pastry chef who would be very impressed with that!Well done.

norse_westie, Jul 23, 9:08pm
You sound like a child who wants to be better than everyone else. Croquembouche is a FRENCH dish, so bully to you if you made the "real Italian" one. In fact the Italian one is NOT a croquembouche at all.

smileeah, Jul 24, 12:49am
How long can they sit out for before they go too soggy or dry out or whatever it is they tend to get like?
I'm interested in having one of these instead of a wedding cake. (Or as well as lol.)

elliehen, Jul 24, 12:52am
I'd like to know that too.I saw one at a Christmas party...decorated like a Christmas tree.It was eaten long before it had a chance to become soggy ;)

smileeah, Jul 25, 12:49am
How long can they sit out for before they go too soggy or dry out or whatever it is they tend to get like!
I'm interested in having one of these instead of a wedding cake. (Or as well as lol.)

elliehen, Jul 25, 12:52am
I'd like to know that too.I saw one at a Christmas party.decorated like a Christmas tree.It was eaten long before it had a chance to become soggy ;)

greerg, Jul 26, 4:51am
Bumping to see if anyone can answer the previous question about sogging time.I'd like to try this too - the pictured one is amazing.

davidt4, Jul 26, 4:57am
The profiteroles go soggy about 30 minutes after being filled.The caramel that holds the croquembouche together will stay crunchy for a few hours, depending on the humidity;on a hot humid day it will only last an hour or so.It's really something best left to professional pastry chefs who can assemble the whole thing and bring it out for immediate consumption.

greerg, Jul 27, 4:51am
Bumping to see if anyone can answer the previous question about sogging time.I'd like to try this too - the pictured one is amazing.

davidt4, Jul 27, 4:57am
The profiteroles go soggy about 30 minutes after being filled.The caramel that holds the croquembouche together will stay crunchy for a few hours, depending on the humidity;on a hot humid day it will only last an hour or so.It's really something best left to professional pastry chefs who can assemble the whole thing and bring it out for immediate consumption.

elliehen, Jul 4, 9:29am
"A croquembouche or croque-en-bouche is a French pastry, a pièce montée that is often served at weddings, baptisms, and first communions. It is a high cone of choux filled with pastry cream that can be dipped in chocolate bound with caramel, and usually decorated with threads of caramel, sugared almonds, chocolate, flowers, or ribbons. They are also often covered in macarons, a small pastry consisting of two layers and a flavoured cream or ganache.

The name comes from the French words croque en bouche meaning 'crunch in the mouth'."

I want the French one :)

kimkat1, Jul 4, 5:57pm
No ,, no cone, just 200 profiteroles, filled with french cream and dunked in chocolate then left to set then using a little more chocolate layered up a round circle at a time to get to the cone shape. was for my cousins wedding, first time I had ever attempted one.

elliehen, Jul 4, 9:26pm
Stunning!.especially for a first-timer - after watching the Masterchef attempts last year ;)