Help, need to make a starter for 16 people!!!

davo27, Jul 4, 3:29am
Have a lovely mid winter pot luck dinner to go to where everyone is assigned a course. Myself & a lovely friend have been assigned to make a starter each, my friend has decided to make mussel chowder, i however am not so clued up on what to make!Any ideas please on something to feed 16 people, can preferabley be made earlier & not too expensive, much much appreciated!

jed, Jul 4, 3:35am
I saw this on "Come Dine with Me" on Sat morn and it took my fancy for a starter.Garlic mushrooms.She mixed up crushed garlic with butter and an egg yolk.Spread this onto the prepared portabello mushrooms and bake for 15 min in mod oven.One mushroom per person.It looked lovely and I bet ittasted devine.Good luck

muppet65, Jul 4, 3:37am
check out the come dine with me website for the recipes

davo27, Jul 4, 3:47am
Thank you both, mushrooms do sound yum! I will have a look at the come dine with me website. cheers

garfeild101, Jul 4, 3:58am
ooo I watched that-i was drooling too

karlachikkidy, Jul 4, 6:35am
do something cold, I usually do a crab and avocado 'salad' layer them in a circular fashion, they are yummy, sorry dont have the recipe here

alewis, Jul 4, 6:38am
those basil pestos are amazing on top of a portobello mushroom with a bit of pharmisan cheese as well. if the other side kick is making soup how about cheese on toast cut small and garlic breads to serve with the soup. you could also make another soup but not seafood, as some people dont like certain seafoods.

davo27, Jul 4, 8:44am
The come dine with me site was brilliant!Thanks soooo much for suggestion!

muppet65, Jul 5, 12:41am
excellent

duckmoon, Jul 5, 6:47am
a light salad
perhaps some salad greens, some cold smoked salmon, red onions etc...

Or have a look on the healthy food guide and do a warm beef salad (will try and find the link for you)
It is an easy dish to prepare the components at home, and construct at the time of the meal... PS: I add crunchy noodles (in the Asian section of the supermarket)

winnie231, Jul 5, 7:39am
Did you see the Brie starter tonight on food tv?
YUMMMMM!!!!!
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/C/come_dine/2/gordon.html

duckmoon, Jul 5, 9:06am
goats cheese & dried fig wrapped in prossectuo (sp)

beaker59, Jul 5, 11:56am
Do breads to go with the chowder as ali suggested it goes with the flow and boosts the other one yet is nice and easy so you have plenty of time to party. And also be very thankful you didn't get the Main and have a friend who wants to do the hard bit.

lanks5, Jul 6, 9:11am
cheese and water crackers with very cold steinlager...enjoy..