Potroast anyone?

riwa2, Jul 3, 2:51am
what is it? or rather how is it done? i've always wanted to know..... but was too ' shy' to ask. i kinda figured that its when the pot runs dry and your meat starts to burn?

rozke, Jul 3, 3:20am
Have bolar roast or similar.Melt lard in heavy saucepan or casserole dish..Brown meat all over.
Add water to about 3/4 way up top of meat.Cook on stove top or oven for 2 to 3 hrs.last hr of cooking add potatoes carrots and onions.
Thats the way my mother did it.Cheers

punkinthefirst, Jul 3, 4:01am
And cook it on a very low heat. It's delicious!

lythande1, Jul 3, 4:23am
It's a roast done in a pot. usually dry, tougher bits. Topside is better in a pot.
3 tablespoons oil
1 topside or similar cut
3 onions, sliced
2 tablespoonspaprika
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
2 cupsbeef stock, more if needed
1 cup water
1 cup dry red wine
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
8 carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and sear on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the paprika, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme =. Stir to combine and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds. Add the broth, water and wine. Bring to a boil. Return the roast plus any accumulated juices to the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn roast, add the potatoes, carrots and stock, if necessary, cover and bake an additional hour or until tender. Remove the pot from the oven. Transfer the roast to a warm platter.Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce and vegetables over roast and serve immediately.

riwa2, Jul 3, 4:46am
oh my gosh! so i wasn't so far off huh?

mkbooks, Jul 3, 7:28am
You can cut a pocket into a piece of topside, + stuff it with a mixture of chopped lamb's kidneys/small onion-do up pocket with toothpicks or satay sticks.+diced green tomato. Brush all over with lemon juice + melted butter, add about 2 + 1/2 cups water, seal pot + cook over low heat until skewer comes out clean.
Use thejuices as gravy, thickend with a roux-butter + flour + when feeling extravagant add oysters to gravy just before serving.