Ki Si Ming

sheepey, Jun 30, 5:59am
recipe wanted please

robotnik, Jun 30, 6:03am
That's a dish as Kiwi as pav' I've heard. Invented in NZ (or Australia) despite its Asian sounding name.

petal_91, Jun 30, 6:06am

madshazza, Jun 30, 6:19am
500g mince
1 chopped onion
3 C water
3 Dsp uncooked rice
1 Dsp curry
1/4 tsp mixed herbs
1 packet chicken noodle soup
1 C mixed vegetables
sherdded cabbage
salt to taste

brown meat & onion in butter.
mix in bowl: water, curry, soup, rice, herbs & mix veg.
add to meat & simmer 20 minutes
add cabbage 10 mins before serving

terraalba, Jul 1, 4:34am
Yes this is almost the recipe I use and I got it from a cook book put out by a North Island branch of the Cancer Society called 'What Shall I Make.' about 40 years ago.It's very very easy, economical and being a one pot dish easy to clean up afterwards. I would recommend that this is the one time you use fresh white bread buttered to place the cooked Kai Si Mong on. I ususally cook it a bit more than 20 minutes and add finely shredded cabbage and heat it through. The recipe I think was made in the days when we boiled the 'guts' vegetables more than we do now. My recipe varied in that it was a tablespoon of mixed herbs. 850 mils of water and 225 grams of finely sliced green beans. Occasionally when I didn't have beans I would use peas or mixed veges and if cabbage wasn't too fresh. caulflower added to the cabbage was an alternative. Best idea is to not use old cabbage. It's one recipe I find that you can vary a little the amount of vegetables and even more or less mincemeat but it's best to keep the flavourings water and rice the same as they seem to make the flavour balanced. I used to make this dish very often but since hubby's been on the low carb routine, I mae a variation using cauliflower instead of rice but it isn't the same.

sheepey, Jul 3, 5:14am
thanks everyone for your help

sumstyle, Jul 3, 6:33am
Oh, I know that dish as Ming Ling